Author Topic: Turbo making noise  (Read 2111 times)

Offline danigunn

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: df60ezn
Turbo making noise
« on: August 10, 2017, 01:57:01 PM »
I'm just wondering if someone has come across this problem - or it is actually a problem and it is just my imagination.

My turbo is making a strange noise. it almost sounds like its over working. It has got worse.
Could the turbo be wearing out?
What would happen if my turbo did go - or do they go?
I changed my spark plugs.

Thanks

Dani

Offline 137699

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Turbo making noise
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2017, 06:57:13 PM »
Turbo's usually make a siren noise when they're on their way out (sounds like you're being followed around by a police car).

When they go a number of things can occur...
- the oil seals go and you will have a smoke screen behind you and your engine oil will burn out quickly
- the turbo just seizes and you lose much of your power but the car still runs
- the turbine blades clip the edge of the housing and send shards of metal around your engine effectively killing it

Letting a turbo die isn't really a good idea. If you suspect it's in trouble you need to whip it out and check it for leaks and play in the bearings.

Offline danigunn

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: df60ezn
Re: Turbo making noise
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2017, 12:57:14 PM »
Thank you for your reply. Sorry I took my time in coming back to you.

I took my car to abarth and they found that a booster pipe to the turbo was broken. So they fixed that. It has made a difference in performance as it no longer 'judders' at high revs.
The noise is still there but it is not the turbo. The abarth dealer has got to look further into it as its coming from around the turbo. So it might be a hole in the exhuast manifold or something like that. They said it's still driveable but will get worse so I will get them to fix it.

Thanks - just wanted to let you know.

Dani