Author Topic: Range Rover Sport - New Car Protection Detail  (Read 10119 times)

Offline Bertie

• Founder Of AOC
  • Administrator
  • 695 Member
    • View Profile
    • Abarth Owners Club
  • Registration Number: F5 BSB
Range Rover Sport - New Car Protection Detail
« on: April 24, 2015, 09:19:46 PM »
New Car Protection Detail

A how to / write up of a new car protection detail, in this case on a Range Rover Sport in Santorini Black with Tan interior.

Products Used

Auto Finesse Iron Out
Auto Finesse Oblitarate
Auto Finesse Citrus Power
Auto Finesse Lather
Auto Finesse Avalanche
Auto Finesse Rejuvinate
Auto Finesse Desire
Auto Finesse Illusion
Auto Finesse Tripple
Auto Finesse Hog Hair Brushes
Auto Finesse Hide
Auto Finesse Handi Puck
Auto Finesse Waxmate

Gtechniq L1
Gtechniq C4

Microfibre Madness Incredimitt
Wheel Woolies

Karcher K7 Pressure Washer

When the car was ordered, it was made clear that the dealer and their valet team was not to prepare the car in any way, and to leave all protective wrappings on both inside and out. The dealer was very understanding and was happy to oblige!

Thankfully, the cars are built in Solihull, so take a journey from their factory to a storage compound, then from the compound to the dealer via transporter - which means they dont spend too long being exposed to the elements, and rail dust! The car was built on thursday, and arrived at the dealers for collection on tuesday, but was still quite dusty and dirty!

Some photos as it arrived;

Quite dirty as you can see, but nothing too bad. First thing to do was remove all the wrapping. I was expecting to have to use some tar and glue remover for the residue, but very little was left behind.!

I gave the whole car a spray with Auto Finesse Citrus power to start breaking down some of the grime, left it for a few minutes then gave the car a good foaming with AF Avalanche. While it got to work, I went round all the shuts, grills and badges with an AF Hog Hair brush to remove some of the grit and dirt. The door shuts were also cleaned with brushes and AF Citrus Power.

I rinsed the car down, paying extra attention to the shuts and roof, to remove as much dirt as possible before the wash phase. It was done carefully and gently with AF Lather, and a microfibre madness mit.

Once the whole car was washed, I went round the whole car feeling the paint for any overspray. Luckily, as it had only covered a short distance, there was very little, so thankfully claying was not needed! I did however spray the lower portions, wheels , tailgate and bonnet with AF Iron Out first, rinsed off, then again with Oblitarate.

A reasonable amount of iron in the wheels, but I wasnt too worried about focusing on the wheels, as they are being treated to C5 Wheel Armour by our good friends over at Clean and Shiny!

Next up, I debadged the car at the rear, using a hair dryer to slowly heat the badge and glue, and then fishing line to gently cut through. What was left was a nasty super adeshive residue, that required a few hits of Oblitarate, a credit card to help remove and a lot of time and patience, but eventually it was all clear without any signs of marking!

The car was rinsed off once more, before being dried with a Metrovac Car Dryer, and AF Aqua Deluxe, which is absolutely brilliant I must say!

As you can see, the paintwork was already very glossy without any protection!

Next up, the paintwork was lightly polished by hand using the AF Handi Puck with a microfibre pad, and AF Rejuvinate. Rejuvinate is described as a 'Pre Wax Cleanser' with a deep cleaning action, leaving a perfect surface to apply a wax. One panel was treated at a time, before gently buffing off with a plus microfibre towel.

Once removed, it was time to apply the first layer of Auto Finesse Desire wax. It was applied by hand using their waxmate applicator, as thinly as possible. The whole car was waxed, and then left for 10 minutes before buffing off.

As the wax cured, all trim was protected with Gtechniq Permanant Trim Restorer. This keeps everything looking black, repels dirt and also beads up nicely! It was the ideal time to apply it as they were perfectly clean. It is wiped on, before being immediately removed. No photos of application as I had to work quickly!

The exhausts were polished, and then it was time for a break, as Desire needs at least 3 hours between layers.

A sandwich and numerous cups of tea later, a second layer of Desire was applied. This increases the gloss, as well as providing increased durability, and also evening out the wax layer.

As darkness fell, I wiped off the glass, and gave the car one last wipe down.

2 Layers of Desire;

Day 2

The following morning, I started by completely detailing the interior, as well as protecting all leather with Gtechniq L1. A simple spray on wipe off solution, that stops dye transfer, reduces wear and tear and helps keep the leather in tip top condition.

All leather surfaces were first cleaned with Auto Finesse Hide cleaner. It was surprising how dirty the seats were considering they were new; there were greasy marks and odd stains dotted round the car, but nothing that didnt come out! Once they were clean, the L1 was applied.

The mats were also treated with Gtechniq I1 Fabric Guard, which makes them completely waterproof, and helps repel dirt and stains. (Not photographed)

The windows were also wiped down instead, as well as the dash and steering wheel etc. The grand black wood trim was also gently dusted down, then polished with some AF Tripple, which leaves a thin layer of carnuba wax for added gloss.

The gloss black trim (side pillars) was polished using AF Tripple.

All glass will be coated with Gtechniq G1 Glass Sealant, again thanks to Clean and Shiny, so there was no need to polish it!

Tyres were given two coats of AF Satin.

Finally, Auto Finesse Illusion wax was added. This is their show car wax, lasts 2-3 months and adds ridiculous levels of gloss and shine!

And for the finished photos..

Best Till Last

Video to follow!

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 01:08:40 PM by Scenyx »
Abarth 124 Spider | San Marino Black | Visibility Pack | Bose Audio | Satnav | #280 of 2000

Offline Brian1612

• 695 Member
  • 200 bhp Competizione
    • View Profile
Re: Range Rover Sport - New Car Protection Detail
« Reply #1 on: April 25, 2015, 09:28:01 AM »
Absolutely brilliant bert... My detail was interrupted annoyingly by some unexpected rain yesterday... need to get my obsession wax down today hopefully!
---Abarth 595 Competizione Owner---
-Grey Leather Sabelts
-Interscope
-Yellow Brembos
-Engine Remap
-H&R Springs
-12mm & 16mm Spacers
-Mtech Short Shifter
-LED rear lamps
-CF Front Splitter
-CF Dipped Dash
-Yellow Exterior Details (Scuderia Stripes/Scorpions)
-Aluminium Speaker Covers & Plaque

Offline JackH1990

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 12:11:24 PM »
Stunning! Brilliant write up, can't wait to see the video :)
Abarth 500C: MTA/Gara White/Black Side Decals/Magneti Marelli Alloys/Magneti Marelli SS500Z Exhaust/Black Leather Seats/Interscope Sound System

Offline 595girlie

• 695 Member
  • Hanging out the washing is a dangerous sport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 01:45:34 PM »
Brilliant write up Bertie.

I'm not a fan of these cars at all, but you really have done a brilliant job on that.   :)
595 Competizione | Campovolo Grey | Red Mirrors | Side Stripes | Chequered Roof | Red Leather Sabelts | Interscope | Heko Wind Deflectors | Forge Induction Hose | Novitec Lowering Springs | Airtec FMIC | Milltek Turbo Back Exhaust | Forge Actuator | IHI Hybrid Turbo | ProAlfa Remap

Offline Andy595

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 08:52:39 PM »
Just read this post, absolutely brilliant and thanks for writing out the steps you took, am not a newly at washing a car, but detailing is a different game altogether.

Living near Manchester, seeing a Range Rover Sport always makes me apprehensive (Gunchester), same as Audi's with blacked out windows I suppose, but I do admit, that looks fabulous.

Andy