Author Topic: Tyre Rotation  (Read 1351 times)

Offline A

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: EK19XYB
Tyre Rotation
« on: October 29, 2020, 09:37:51 PM »
Hi everyone

I’ve got to the 6000 miles point and the computer prompted me to rotate the tyres. Is it worth it? All thoughts and opinions welcome.

A

Offline GreyThunder

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: WN18XMJ
Re: Tyre Rotation
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2020, 06:23:58 PM »
Depends on your driving :

If you enjoy pushing to the limits on bendy B roads, then rotate the tyres to preserve the balance of the car.
Downside is that you end up replacing all 4 tyres at once - Ouch!

If your driving is in built-up areas and/or motorway cruising, then preserving the balance isn't so necessary and you can get away without the rotation.

When replacing just 2 tyres they always say to put the new ones on the back as most drivers can't cope with oversteer. Personally I like new tyres on the front for better steering in normal conditions.
The car flew through the landscape like a grey thunderbolt, leaving awe and envy in its wake.

Offline A

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 05, 2020, 08:13:31 PM »
Thank you for the tips, much appreciated and worthwhile for the community.

Cheers

A

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2020, 02:06:05 PM »
That spanner stayed lit for an entire touring trip around southern Italy a couple of years ago.  It came on 5 miles after we'd left home, and I dumbly assumed it was the service light on a couple of months early.  2,500 miles later, back in a UK motorway service station on the way home, I bothered to check the menu and discovered it was just for tyre rotation and I didn't need to have spent the last fortnight staring at it as I drove!

No, I don't rotate tyres.  I regularly check tread depth and if any are getting close I change them.  Interestingly I am literally just back from the car's 4th main dealer service (£500, ouch) and the fancy video report they send me shows that the original tyres are still on 7mm all round after 14,000 miles.  Brake pad wear is also only 10%, so I'm quite pleased.  Clearly I'm not driving it anywhere near fast enough...

The only 'advisory' (they didn't do the MOT, my local does that) was the rusted-up valve in the exhaust and missing spring.  Odd they've only just noticed it - it's been like that for over 3 years now....  the tech's comment was that the exhaust will be a bit noisier than normal and that a complete new back box is needed to fix it at £730+VAT.  I actually like the noise, and given that the same thing would happen again next year, I'll force myself to live with it.

Roger

Offline A

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2020, 03:43:32 PM »
Roger

Thanks for the update. The noise is part of the package and at £730+vat, I’d be doing the same.

ATB

A