Author Topic: Shorter Aerial?  (Read 1967 times)

Offline A

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: EK19XYB
Shorter Aerial?
« on: May 11, 2020, 09:16:53 PM »
Hi Everyone

I was thinking of replacing the radio aerial. However what I thought would be a £5 purchase on E bay looks a bit more involved. E Bay's car checker says almost every option will not fit.

I've also tried the excellent MX5 parts web site and have the link below.
https://www.mx5parts.co.uk/short-aerial-models-p-4370.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=googleshopping&utm_campaign=googlebase&gclid=EAIaIQobChMI5eymsMes6QIVkuvtCh3DJQ54EAkYASABEgLLWfD_BwE

But I am wary it might not fit?

Has anyone changed the aerial for a shorter one? If so did it work and what product did you go for.

Thank you

A

Offline Carpasio

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: C9WLY
Re: Shorter Aerial?
« Reply #1 on: May 12, 2020, 11:35:48 AM »
I got mine from Moss Europe -https://www.moss-europe.co.uk/aerial-stubby-909-676.html.  I paid about £15 but it seems to have gone up a bit.  Works fine for me on both DAB and FM in the UK.  Also I can put my cover on without having to dismantle the aerial.

Offline A

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 12, 2020, 07:05:14 PM »
Thanks for the info. Its great to get confirmation that yours works so I've just ordered. It was now £17.20 plus postage makes it about £21.

On another note I was told by a friend with a Honda S2000 that using a cover was considered by some as risky for the paint work as any dust under it could rub over time. What does everyone feel about this and more importantly do you cover or not cover?

Thanks everyone

A

Offline Carpasio

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: C9WLY
« Reply #3 on: May 12, 2020, 09:18:46 PM »
I only ever put my cover on after it has been cleaned and has fully dried out.  I don't have an enclosed garage only a farm cartshed (bit like a carport) so it gets dusty particularly when it's windy. 

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2020, 11:19:11 AM »
https://forum.abarthownersclub.com/index.php?topic=3938.0

I bought a 'Stubby', but the reception was no better, and possibly worse.  I also didn't like the look of it as I feel a retro car like the Spider should have a proper aerial.
That said, my car is for high days and holidays (unless my wife nicks it), and lives in a dehumidified garage so doesn't need a cover.  I have a real aversion to car covers.

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: XXI5984
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2020, 04:45:41 PM »
Mines kept in a garage most of the time on a trickle charger I don't like the fitted covers but have a throw type cover ,I do think your right I prefer the normal aerials
Super Duper spider

Offline A

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2020, 02:11:30 PM »
Hi everyone

New short one fitted and looks good ie its the correct diameter at the base. I don't really listen to the radio but the reception after a brief test was fine - no issues. On balance I prefer the classic aerial as its gives a feeling of movement from the slanted fixing. However as I keep clipping it in the garage, which is a bit tight, the new one looks good, modern in style and does not get caught or trapped.

As so often with the 124...the choice is yours.

Thank you everyone for your advice and links, always appreciated.

A