Author Topic: Abarth Owners Club Meets and Events in 2020  (Read 3414 times)

Offline Colin

• Events Manager
  • 695 Member
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: RX65URG
Abarth Owners Club Meets and Events in 2020
« on: December 01, 2019, 08:33:10 PM »
With Abarth's 70th anniversary celebrations and a still growing population of Abarth Owners keen to meet up at seemingly every opportunity, 2019 will go down in history as our best year yet, with lots of photos, footage, memories and new friendships all evidence of what we have achieved. 2020 is the year when we build on this, and hopefully achieve even more than we did in 2019.   

I've already announced a few events for 2020, and there is a dedicated event thread for each, with details on how to book your place, and more will follow in the coming weeks and months. In advance of these, I thought it would be helpful to post a consolidated list now, so that you can all mark up your diaries now, and hold the dates now. This list will be added to, as not every venue has confirmed their plans for 2020, and we will fill in the gaps with some Abarth Owners Club specific events. 

This is a long thread. I make no apologies for that, as there is lot of detail in here, but I am sure you will agree it is worth reading through to the end.

Undoubted highlight for all those who were able to join in, was the trip to Milan in October 2019, for the Abarth Days. Whilst no specific plans for any similar event in 2020 have yet been announced by Turin (though from hints dropped, I am rather hoping that there will be something), the experience of the Drive itself was so well received that I am looking to organise a couple of Continental Events during 2020.

One of these will be timed to include the SpaItalia event at Spa in the Ardennes in Belgium. This takes place on Sunday 14th June, so reserve that weekend for a drive that I hope will take in the Abarth Works Museum in Lier (near Antwerp) as well as the Spa event itself. It's nothing like as far as going to Milan, so can be fitted into a (rather busy) weekend.... more details early in the new Year.

I am also thinking of an Italian trip - to take in another Alpine Pass or two, and perhaps a visit to Torino to see the factory and Classiche operation, the FCA Heritage Hub, and (if we can manage ti) to get the cars on the roof at Lingotto. Early September is the target date (though this does depend on if there is to be an Abarth Day or not). 

There is more certainly for this block of events, I have either already contacted the organiser, or if they are not yet ready, will be doing so in the coming weeks, to arrange an Abarth Owners Club presence, which in most cases will ensure we have our own display area, and in many cases special club discounts on admission charges. Although details of each event will be on the event's own website, you will need to follow the instructions that are posted here to ensure you get any special AOC ticket package.   

Brooklands New Years Day - Weds 1st Jan
Brooklands Auto Italia - Sat 2nd May
Donington Historic Festival - Fri 1st May  - Sun 3rd May
Italian Classics at the Villa - Sun 10th May
La Vita Rosso at Prescott Hill Climb - Sat 23rd- Sun 24th  May
Supercar Fest - Sywell Aerodrome - Sun 24th May
Italian Passion for Speed - Cardiff Bay - Sat 30th May
Bedfordshire Italian Cars - Sharnbook Hotel, nr Bedford - TBD, (usually late June)
Cars in the Park - Lichfield -Sat 4th - Sun 5th July
Brooklands Supercar Sunday - Sun 19th July
"Quay for my Car", Poole Harbour - TBD (usually a Fri, in July or August)
Silverstone Classic - Fri 31st - Sun 2nd Aug
Brands Hatch Festival Italia - Sun 16th Aug
Gloucester Goes Retro - - Sat 22nd Aug
MITCAR - TBD Aug
Supercar Fest - Shelsley Walsh Hill Climb - Sun 31st Aug
Bridgnorth Italian Auto & Moto Festival - Sun 6th Sept
Brooklands Autumn MotorSport Festival -  Sun 11th Oct

Separate threads
will be created for each individual event, with full details not just of the location and timing, but also instructions on how to acquire tickets to make sure that you are part of the Abarth presence at them. The first couple of threads have already been posted, as I already have some details agreed with the organisers, and more will follow. Please pay special attention to the closing date to buy your tickets. In most cases this is well before the event itself. Coming to me a couple of days before hand asking if you are too late will almost inevitably result in confirmation that you are!

There's plenty of space to add more to this list, so if you see something that you think would be of interest, then please do not hesitate to send me your suggestions. I am particularly keen that we do not hold everything in the "south", so we need to head north for more of our activities, and we should also do more driving events as well as the static shows. To that end, I am planning to hold two or three Abarth Owners Club specific events. I have some potential venues in mind, ones that we have not yet been to, but am open to your suggestions. 2020 marks the fifth anniversary of the founding of Abarth Owners Club, and we will look to mark this landmark with something special during the year. 

With the rise in activities of many of the Regional Groups in 2019, most of which arrange their own events, largely for members in their immediate geographies, this does all mean that you are not going to be short of things to do in 2019. But if you have ideas for other things, please do feel free to get in touch........ and I would be particularly keen to hear from anyone who can help with planning routes for driving days around the country.

You may also wish to consider one of the many popular Breakfast Club style meetings that take place all around the country. Some of the more popular ones are these:   

Ace Cafe Italian Night - second Thursday of every month. There are events at Ace almost every night, but Italian Night is by some margin the best, and is usually well supported with all manner of interesting cars. In 2018 and 2019 we consistently outnumbered Alfa Romeo, but some months there were more Maserati there (I know, I contributed to that, as I usually had my Ghibli rather than my Abarth!).
Goodwood Breakfast - the 2020 program has not yet been announced. In 2019 there were 5 of them during the year, each with a theme, only one of which fitted with our cars. We will have to see what 2019 holds. These meets gets very busy now, and you have to pre-book well in advance with a theme-compliant car, and even to secure general parking  but are a great morning out, and the bacon is particularly tasty, though!
Coventry Transport Museum Breakfast - tend to be on a Saturday morning - program on the museum's website. Note that they changed their criteria so a "future classic" now qualifies for the display.
Departure Lounge, Alton - an Italian specific event held bi-monthly, first Saturday of the month (usually). Nice setting and generally gets a good turnout.
Haynes Museum Breakfast - Now well established and very well attended, generally on the first Sunday of the month. Has the advantage that there is a great museum on site
Liverpool Cars and Coffee - huge event on the waterfront. Typically attracts a good number of local Abarth owners. Schedule appears a bit random.
Prescott Hill Climb Breakfast - mix of meetings "at home" on the Gloucestershire slopes, and also a couple of away fixtures (2020 dates are 29/3, 11/7, 23/8 and 11/10)
Queen Square Bristol Breakfast - second Sunday of the month. Always a good show, usually a couple of Abarths there - note that this event outgrew Queen Square and now takes place at a variety of interesting locations in the Bristol area. Full details are on the event's Facebook page. 
Shelsley Walsh Breakfast - dates for 2020 are 15/3, 19/4, 17/5, 19/7. 13/9 and 11/10. Note that you now need to pre-register and buy a ticket from the venue's website
Wilton Wake Up - typically the last Sunday of the month from April to September, these are held at Wilton House in Somerset (near Salisbury). There is a theme, but also plenty of nearby parking for other cars to attend.

It goes without saying, that all are welcome to attend any of our events.

Wishing all Abarth Owners Club members a Very Happy and Safe 2020 and Bertie and I look forward to meeting as many of you as we can during the year. 
Abarth 595 Competizione 180: Cordolo Red: Red Leather Sabelts: Skydome

It replaced: 

Abarth 500 NP: Pasadoble Red: Red Leather: SkyDome: Climate: 17" Petals

Offline patrick byrne

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: HT66 KFY
Re: Abarth Owners Club Meets and Events in 2020
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2020, 11:35:01 AM »
HI Colin,   I'm an AOC  newbie.  Thanks for the post , very informative. Looking at the list , I can see that the AOC do meet at the Donington Historic. As I'm sure you know it's a great event, I've attended it since it's inception (in my MG) . Would like to bring my 124 spider this year and join the AOC display. Will there be a discount code issued for the  AOC in the near future?
many thanks  Patrick 

Offline Colin

• Events Manager
  • 695 Member
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: RX65URG
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2020, 08:13:26 PM »
I agree about Donington Historic being  a great event.

We used to get a good turnout (20+ cars) but when we did it in 2017 and 2018, attendance was down to a handful, and indeed I went one time and was the only car in our area on that day. Part of the problem is that it always clashes with Brooklands Auto Italia, so I did not do it in 2019 at all. It is embarrassing asking for a space and then no-one coming!

I was thinking of trying again for 2020, but I am aware that Abarth East Midlands have signed up, and would think that the majority of people who would go are likely to be East Midlands members (or at least in their catchment area), and it really does not make much sense to try to get 2 Abarth stands there....... so, sadly, I am not going to be doing it for AOC,   Sorry to disappoint you.
Abarth 595 Competizione 180: Cordolo Red: Red Leather Sabelts: Skydome

It replaced: 

Abarth 500 NP: Pasadoble Red: Red Leather: SkyDome: Climate: 17" Petals

Offline patrick byrne

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: HT66 KFY
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2020, 09:56:30 AM »
Cheers Colin, noted.

Yes, it's usually the case that car shows clash on Bank Holidays!   I don't think the government will approve  extra Bank Hol's just for petrol heads!!!!  I'm fairly local to Donington , so will attend, and try and get my Abarth in the infield. Even without the club discount it's good value (£35). I don't want to register with the MG Owners club this year as I may  part with my MG  -    Spending too much time in my 124 spider  ;) !
Look forward to your updates on other events.

Safe motoring & Happy New Year to all !   

Offline Spirit

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: BT18LXS
« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2020, 10:13:59 PM »
Hi Colin

I have bought an Abarth 124 spider.  I would love to be an active member of the group.  I see Brooklands in May as the next meeting.  This is my first Abarth and would like to meet the group