Author Topic: Automatic Gearbox  (Read 2843 times)

Offline Tenruh

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
Automatic Gearbox
« on: November 03, 2019, 04:41:20 PM »
Looking to buy my first 124, and would appreciate opinions on the above .....every review I've read is not particularly complimentary of them.
Cheers Tony

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: XXI5984
Re: Automatic Gearbox
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2019, 05:15:00 PM »
Well in my opinion I like Manual and I think the sales speak for themselves most later ones for sale are autos and quite cheap and I think they had a problem with the gear boxes but as I said that's just my opinion .
Super Duper spider

Offline Tenruh

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2019, 05:30:17 PM »
Thanks for the comments Geoff, did notice that the recent newer ones up for sale were automatics.

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2019, 08:39:44 PM »
Your welcome but to be honest it all depends what you like im old school so always manual for me but good luck with what ever you decide
Super Duper spider

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2019, 09:39:25 PM »
When I bought mine, I test drove an auto and wasn't particularly impressed.  I think the power unit is too small and heavily turboed to work well with the paddle change box - but if left in sport it might be better.  It seemed to be struggling to find the right gear to me.  That said, I don't think you'll find any new cars for sale now that are manuals.  Chatting to the technician at my last service, last month, he thought there were only a few autos left at dealerships now.

Offline Mrtwm1

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 05, 2019, 06:54:03 PM »
I need to sell my one soon - devastated to part with it, but we have a new baby on the way!
It's manual, red, 68 reg, 5k miles, all the options  (Bose, auto lights/wipers, heritage pack, sat nav), perfect and pampered condition - very rare, so £22.5k! Let me know if you're interested...

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2019, 09:51:07 PM »
Don't sell it get another car and keep the spider mines 2 years old now I don't get much chance to use it at all but I would never sell it
Super Duper spider

Offline A

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: EK19XYB
« Reply #7 on: November 12, 2019, 09:16:45 AM »
Hi Tony

Well the Auto Manual debate is probably a very personal choice and I have respect for both view points.

The elephant in the room question which is a fair one... is the auto a duff option. Simply NO it’s still a great car. That said it’s not perfect, my old VW DSG box was I think slightly better. The A124 does occasionally appear to hang onto gears a little long when cruising. But it does a far better job than me. Also remember you can nudge the shifter into manual mode and have paddle shifters. I’ve tried these now and again and they work well, but I generally switch back to using auto as...it works.

The auto car cost I think £2k more than the manual. There are about ish 600 auto cars and 1100 manual, approx numbers. Auto trader recently had 24 manual ones and 14 auto for sale, obviously all used.

The key for me is the spec. Try and get the visibility pack so you get parking sensors and auto lights, BOSE stereo is great. Forget about NAV, buy a SD card on Ebay for £33. Colour and heritage black bonnet is for me really personal and also simply what you can get...there are not that many of these cars about.

Finally this car is awesome and I love it.

Hope this helps.

A

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2019, 03:55:28 PM »
Mine has just got the Heritage pack and the Bose but when I bought it I got quite a good deal on it ,it was an ex demo just 7 months oud 900 miles to be honest I would never buy a car new you can save a fortune by getting one a few months old but that just my opinion
Super Duper spider

Offline Tenruh

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2019, 04:08:28 PM »
Thanks for all the great advice, I've decided to go for a manual box, and a solid colourway preferably the 1972 red, so if there's anyone in the offing do let me know. At the moment Motorpoint have a 67 plated for £17,599 but the heavy red leather on the seats puts me off that particular one.
Maybe I'm a bit too fussy

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2019, 06:05:29 PM »
mines exactly the same as that one but with the heritage pack and the same year as mine I think that's a good price and the red inserts on the seats look fantastic go for it.
Super Duper spider

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2019, 01:44:16 PM »
1972 Corsa Red, matt black heritage bits, black and red leather seats - perfect.  I would say that, as it's what we specified for ours.  I have a mate with an all-black Scorpione, and it's way too black for my taste.  My memory of 124 Spiders back in the day is all Italian Racing Red (Corse), which is surprisingly dark.  The '72 Corsa is spot on, very classy.

A word of caution - do not use a shampoo that contains wax, or your matt black bits will gradually become gloss black.  Not such a good look, but not apparent until you park next to someone who's not bothered to check - big difference.

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2019, 04:13:55 PM »
Mines the same in my opinion its the best colour and you are right the black is a bit to much lovely when its shinny but a big to keep clean.
Super Duper spider