Author Topic: Spider full of water  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Timmilne

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
Spider full of water
« on: September 26, 2019, 09:15:01 AM »
Woke up this morning and the poor Spider is full of water — an inch under the mat and two inches under the seat on the driver's side, though it's parked on the street and the camber of the road will cause it to pool, making it look worse than it probably is. But, still, I don't remember this being a feature when I ordered it.

I've had it since Jan 2018, and this has suddenly started. I'm going to take it to my local Abarth dealer, but they seemed nonplussed when I called, so any insights as to the cause would be very welcome

Has anyone suffered this?

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: XXI5984
Re: Spider full of water
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2019, 11:38:00 AM »
Sorry to hear that ive had my spider since late 2017 and have never had that problem it is parked in a garage when im not using it but have drove it plenty of time in the rain ,have you checked where you close it up that there isn't and dirt or grit on the rubber if there is that may cause a problem .

Super Duper spider

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2019, 10:47:12 PM »
Had mine just on three years and not had this - driven in pretty foul weather, and washed it a lot too....  are you religiously keeping the drain holes clear in the front scuttle, near the wiper shafts?  Maybe parking it on a steep camber hasn't helped?

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2019, 05:38:02 PM »
Yes you should keep them clear
Super Duper spider

Offline Biancofreddo

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 08:56:05 PM »
The hood drain filters could be blocked and overflowing into the cabin.  It’s essential to remove any debris from collecting between the hood where it meets the body otherwise it can get flushed down into the filter baskets which have a sponge inside. This is can be an issue if the car is parked outside near trees! It is mentioned in the handbook. If you search on YouTube you will find some videos on how to remove and clean out the baskets from an MX5 which are the same as the 124. Hope this helps.

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 01, 2019, 05:41:36 PM »
The hood drain filters could be blocked and overflowing into the cabin.  It’s essential to remove any debris from collecting between the hood where it meets the body otherwise it can get flushed down into the filter baskets which have a sponge inside. This is can be an issue if the car is parked outside near trees! It is mentioned in the handbook. If you search on YouTube you will find some videos on how to remove and clean out the baskets from an MX5 which are the same as the 124. Hope this helps.

Ha!  I'm a trombone player, so the cleaning brush is no problem.

edit - or it wouldn't be, but having seen the videos I now realise that's for the earlier Mazdas and is irrelevant for the Abarth.  The video posted below is good.
« Last Edit: October 02, 2019, 09:46:03 AM by rsk289 »

Offline Biancofreddo

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 01, 2019, 07:53:43 PM »
They are a bit of a pain to remove and replace,  but in this clip you can  see a couple of ways to do it!

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=v17ohTGefSc

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2019, 07:15:44 PM »
Just done this, by removing the trim as in the video.  Pretty easy - for the three pins, you get your nails under the inner head and pull, which releases the fastener.  The sill trims just pull up, and the B post top trim needs lifting slightly to allow the rear panel to come out.  The basket is easy to reach this way.  Mine had a couple of small twigs in there after three years, no blockage at all, but it lives in a garage and very rarely stays out under trees.

I had a go at just reaching down to access the basket, but hadn't a hope in hell of doing it that way.  With the door wide open and the seat slid far forward with the back tilted forward, I could get my head in to see the basket and work it all out.

Roger

Offline Biancofreddo

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2019, 11:45:33 PM »
Just done this, by removing the trim as in the video.  Pretty easy - for the three pins, you get your nails under the inner head and pull, which releases the fastener.  The sill trims just pull up, and the B post top trim needs lifting slightly to allow the rear panel to come out.  The basket is easy to reach this way.  Mine had a couple of small twigs in there after three years, no blockage at all, but it lives in a garage and very rarely stays out under trees.

I had a go at just reaching down to access the basket, but hadn't a hope in hell of doing it that way.  With the door wide open and the seat slid far forward with the back tilted forward, I could get my head in to see the basket and work it all out.

Roger

Yes, it is easier with the trim removed.  I should have made it clearer in my earlier post that it’s the latest MX5 which compares to the Abarth. Mine were not too bad either as the Abarth also lives in the garage and at the slightest hint of any debris collecting at the rear of the hood, out comes the vacuum cleaner!

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 03, 2019, 09:22:19 AM »
Im glad I read this post I would never have known about this mine is kept in a garage also but I will check it out and I think the hoover is a good idea

Cheers Geoff
Super Duper spider

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2019, 10:15:28 AM »
Any feedback from the original poster?  Filters full, or??

Offline buckwits

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 27, 2019, 08:15:44 AM »
Cant believe no one has said this. A Bath spider.

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 27, 2019, 10:00:59 AM »
Boom boom!