Author Topic: The Final Count  (Read 3006 times)

Offline Carpasio

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: C9WLY
The Final Count
« on: August 27, 2019, 01:33:56 PM »
So the 124 Spider is no longer sold in the UK, and from the look of it, the rest of the world soon.  From internet research it seems there were 1878 Abarth 124s sold here in total (1093 Manual, 720 Auto, 65 Scorpione).  So we are an exclusive and now limited club.  Does anyone have access to data which might support/challenge these numbers?

From the same source (https://www.howmanyleft.co.uk) it seems there were 2879 Fiat 124 Spiders sold.

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: XXI5984
Re: The Final Count
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2019, 06:25:54 PM »
These cars are never going to be worth any money unless someone locks them up for 20 years but I am glad they have stopped selling them here that makes them in my opinion the perfect weekend car cheap to insure cheap to run and not many on the road.
Super Duper spider

Offline buckwits

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 11, 2019, 09:04:21 PM »
No argument from me Geoff. Amazing little car, turns heads and gets compliments wherever you go. Just got back from a weekend in Somerset, you need to drive both ways through Cheddar Gorge with the top down before you die!

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2019, 06:42:48 PM »
Yes, I agree.  Just got back from a trip down to Verona - my car has done 11,000 miles since I bought it in 2016, most of it on three European trips - round the S of France, Tuscany, and the second Italian trip just completed.  It has been utterly brilliant, the only criticism being a lack of luggage space which makes packing a challenge (certainly for my wife) on these longer trips.  The ability to chuck the hood up and down at traffic lights is really useful, with a lot of 'electric hood' folk looking on enviously.
The only slight downside is a noticeable diff whine developing over the last few hundred miles, see separate thread.  Off to the dealer to have it listened to next week but in my experience the crown wheel and pinion may be showing some wear.  Apparently there have been issues with the Mazda ND diff running very hot (so I've discovered on the MX5 forum), and Mazda have issued a new spec for the diff oil.  Whether or not FCA dealers know anything about this remains to be seen.  I'll be sticking some 75W-140 Motul with the LSD additive (although that's irrelevant for the mechanical worm gear LSD) in from now on, old diff or new diff.

Offline A

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: EK19XYB
« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2019, 02:09:02 PM »
Hi everyone

Thanks for the info on numbers. Any idea how many heritage models were sold?

FYI I’ve just spent a month searching and auto versions with less than 500 miles, ie demo vehicles and pre reg vehicles I counted 10 left for sale.

It was 12 but one sold 2 weeks ago, and now it’s 10 as I will collect mine on Thur.

I could easily have missed a few, but the general theme is..... not many left.

I look forward to joining in the debates and advice.

Regards

Andrew

Offline Carpasio

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2019, 11:25:50 AM »
Sorry Andrew don't have that information.  Whatever grab one while you can and enjoy the best motoring you're likely to experience in an affordable car. Cheers Rob

Offline A

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2019, 11:22:14 PM »
I’ve read 51% were heritage and 60% manual.

Only one new one left in the country for sale as far as I can tell.

The end of the beginning but only the start of the fun :)
« Last Edit: October 08, 2019, 11:25:30 PM by A »

Offline Carpasio

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2019, 02:21:50 PM »
Yes the manual/auto mix at 60/40 seems about right.  Interesting to see the heritage numbers.  Mine is not and I prefer it.

Offline buckwits

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 13, 2019, 03:28:54 PM »
Anyone know when they stopped the edition plate between the seats? What's everyone's numbers? I'm 556. 

Offline A

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2019, 01:39:49 PM »
Good question. Mine was registered 28th March 2019 and does not have a plate and therefore no number. Does anyone have some knowledge/info?  Thanks

Offline Brooko

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 17, 2020, 05:39:55 PM »
Our car was registered in November 2016 so probably one of the first ones?  ( doesn’t have the plaque as we don’t have the heritage pack) I did ask the supplying dealer if he could find out the build number but no luck even after reminding him a couple of times, maybe this information is not so easy to access?

20,000 miles now, found the car got faster after about 6000 miles - then a lot faster after fitting a TMC box  :P 8) .

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: XXI5984
« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2020, 08:41:07 PM »
Mines a 67 plate red Heritage pack and Bose I had a remap and made it a bit lower runs great just don't have much time to drive it its on a trickle charge most of the time .
Super Duper spider