Author Topic: Monza exhaust note!  (Read 1565 times)

Offline Rooster

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
Monza exhaust note!
« on: March 21, 2019, 11:19:54 AM »
After having my trofeo for 9 months I have noticed a significant difference in the exhaust sound. For the first 20 mins of driving it’s nice and loud with pops and bangsas I shift gear. After 20 mins when engine is warm it tones down a lot and near impossible to make pop or bang, and a lot quieterIs this an indication that the valve is stuck? It’s bugging me a bit.  And if I chose to wire it open would it pop and bang in that case as well ?   Many thanks
2018 Abarth 595 Trofeo. Record grey/Yellow Trims. 2016-2018 Hyundai i10 1.0

Offline James King

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
    • Team Buschfink Racing
  • Registration Number: SD14 OTU
Re: Monza exhaust note!
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 11:56:46 AM »
It's nothing to do with the valve, it's just the car warming up. Once mine's up to temperature I have to work REALLY hard to get a pop on upshifts, whereas if I go for it straight away while it's still cold it'll pop basically every time.

Just to note that running hard when cold is never really a good idea, especially on cars that are closer to tolerances like ours, in your daily runabout crapbox it doesn't really matter because they're designed and built with non-car people in mind, whereas performance-oriented models are a bit more sensitive to that sort of thing.

Offline rossocorsa

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2019, 09:40:23 AM »
Wire it open it sounds better and probably pops more often (rare though TBH) because the flap is always fully open. The noise at low speed is hardly any different really.

Offline Andy595

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2019, 03:06:26 PM »
Sounds to me like a job for an intercooler, although I have no experience or great knowledge of such, I have seen some posts on here regarding them!

Andy