Author Topic: Vibration through steering wheel  (Read 1799 times)

Offline phanson

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
Vibration through steering wheel
« on: March 04, 2019, 08:50:16 AM »
Yet another question - I've only been out in the GT a couple of times, the last run was only about 70 miles - but when I got back I had pins and needles in all my fingers. The vibration through the wheel is worse than any bike I've ever owned!

Any one else have this problem?

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: XXI5984
Re: Vibration through steering wheel
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 09:24:43 AM »
Yo are talking about the GT Spider ??  I have  a Spider and never had any problems with vibrations maybe the roof isn't fitted properly and sending vibrations through the car.
Super Duper spider

Offline phanson

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2019, 10:25:06 AM »
Yes - 124 GT Spider
The roof might be the root cause? I'm thinking that, because the image in the rear view mirror vibrates like a bugger.
The only other difference to standard is those gorgeous light weight alloys - I wonder if they are letting a high frequency vibration through to the steering wheel and causing the mirror vibration as well?

I'm not expecting the 124 to be as refined as the SLC, I was just surprised when I realized my fingers were really suffering.
Might put a white finger claim in to FCA?
Though I'll get another couple of runs in first.

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 04, 2019, 12:07:26 PM »
If it was me I would take the top off and take it for a spin and see if its ok and I always think its isn't a good idea to keep a soft top down for long periods of time it can put permanent creasing in the roof material I keep my car in the garage but never leave it with the roof down,but that's just me.
Super Duper spider

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2019, 01:09:34 PM »
Vibration felt at the steering wheel primarily is generally due to front wheel imbalance, whereas vibration felt through the structure of the car has traditionally been caused by rear wheel imbalance or rear suspension faults.  That applies more to live-axle cars, though, obviously.  I'd get a careful check of the wheel balance - quite possibly you've lost a weight or two.

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 11:36:45 PM »
Was it the roof in the end ???
Super Duper spider