Author Topic: Cable route for dash cam?  (Read 3912 times)

Offline Graham

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
Cable route for dash cam?
« on: February 26, 2019, 11:35:35 AM »
Hi all, I’m trying to hardwire a Nextbase 612GW dash cam into my 2017 595 Comp but can’t fathom how to get the cable into the car from the fuse box in the engine bay. Any ideas are much appreciated, many thanks, Graham.

Offline 137699

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Cable route for dash cam?
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2019, 02:33:23 PM »
Why don't you just tap into the feeds behind the cig socket in the cabin? That's what I did - far easier.

Offline Graham

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2019, 08:09:00 PM »
Thanks I’ll take a look at that method tomorrow but I’m hoping to not have any cable showing if possible.

Offline Andy595

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 28, 2019, 09:01:40 AM »
Hi all, I’m trying to hardwire a Nextbase 612GW dash cam into my 2017 595 Comp but can’t fathom how to get the cable into the car from the fuse box in the engine bay. Any ideas are much appreciated, many thanks, Graham.

Hi

I ran the cable in the head lining around the windscreen, between the joint of the dashboard and internal trim on the passenger side and tapped into a fuse on the internal fuse box just in the foot well.

Works a treat.

Remember to read the instructions for siting the unit properly, there are laws about having anything restricting you windscreen directly in front of the driver. Mobile phone users should also check this out if the phone is attached to the screen. If it is directly in front of the driver it could well be illegally placed!

Cheers

Andy

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: XXI5984
« Reply #4 on: February 28, 2019, 10:52:44 AM »
I wanted to put a dash cam in my spider but didn't like the idea of wires all over the place
Super Duper spider

Offline Andy595

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2019, 04:39:53 PM »
I wanted to put a dash cam in my spider but didn't like the idea of wires all over the place

Hi Geoff

Not looked at a Spider, but don't you have a liner between the windscreen and frame, generally it is a firm but slightly flexible plastic material. The wire can be pushed in behind this trim and be invisible. The only wire visible on mine is about 2" coming out of this liner on the passenger side of the rear view mirror and going into the dash cam. all else is hidden.

I even added a rear facing cam as well. Thankfully not called into question yet, but....

Andy

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 01, 2019, 04:50:03 PM »
Hi Andy
You may be right I will have a good look at the weekend I haven even picked a cam yet I really want a small one but cant see one I like and im not spending an arm and a leg.

Geoff
Super Duper spider

Offline Andy595

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 02, 2019, 04:55:30 PM »
Hi Andy
You may be right I will have a good look at the weekend I haven even picked a cam yet I really want a small one but cant see one I like and im not spending an arm and a leg.

Geoff

Hi Geoff

A tip to offer... We used a tool supplied with a freezer, shaped like a windscreen ice scraper, made of plastic, perhaps 2 1/2" wide to press the cable into the recesses, worked a treat.

We bought the Nextbase 512, appears excellent quality and hardly noticeable from the drivers point of view.

Andy

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 02, 2019, 05:43:04 PM »
Hi Andy
Thanks for the tip but I decided to put the dash cam app on my phone then I can use it in any car.

Geoff
Super Duper spider

Offline 137699

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2019, 04:53:38 PM »
Thanks I’ll take a look at that method tomorrow but I’m hoping to not have any cable showing if possible.

I don't have any cables showing. I routed the cable along the roof panel, down the A panel, behind the dash, along the floor under the centre console, and tapped it into the feed to the cig socket.

Offline rossocorsa

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2019, 09:42:43 AM »

I don't have any cables showing. I routed the cable along the roof panel, down the A panel, behind the dash, along the floor under the centre console, and tapped it into the feed to the cig socket.

How easy is it to get the trim off there? I was thinking to wire mine with a piggyback connection to the fuse box behind the glove box.

Offline 137699

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2019, 09:20:55 AM »
You don't need to take any trim off - there's enough give in the panels as fitted to slip the wire behind - then pop the cig ligher socket out of the centre console and you can feed the connections to the rear of it.

Offline Andy595

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2019, 03:14:28 PM »
Hi again, as I posted earlier, when you route the wire down the passenger A frame, there is a fuse box really handy, you can piggy back onto a fuse in there which saves routing through to the centre of the car for the ciggy lighter socket.

Andy

Offline rossocorsa

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 26, 2019, 11:39:32 PM »
You don't need to take any trim off - there's enough give in the panels as fitted to slip the wire behind - then pop the cig ligher socket out of the centre console and you can feed the connections to the rear of it.

Is that on an S4? The cig lighter looks quite firmly fixed to me

Offline 137699

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2019, 08:39:53 AM »
S5