Author Topic: Winter Tyres  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Abarth124owner

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
Winter Tyres
« on: November 06, 2018, 09:56:28 PM »
So I have a 67 plate Abarth 124 Spider Scorpioneā€¦ coming into November, I remember the snowy and winter days of 2017/2018. Based on my experience last year, my preference is winter tyres this time round, any suggestions on the best ones people have had on a 124? I'm currently looking at Nankang Winter Activa SV-3 or the Kumho WP17, I don't want anything too expensive (car goes back November 2019) :(

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Tyres
« Reply #1 on: November 07, 2018, 01:56:14 PM »
Personally I wouldn't bother.  We get one or two days a year when you have to take more care than usual, and these are not heavy cars.  Been driving since '72 and never seen the need for them.... 

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: XXI5984
« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2018, 04:00:40 PM »
I agree
Super Duper spider

Offline Richard H

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: LL16 PXK
« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2018, 05:12:49 PM »
I think it depends on where you live.

I'm in Hertfordshire, so it never gets too bad, however, we are half way up (or down) a hill and with RWD I'd think about winter or all season ( such as Michelin Cross Climates) if I had RWD,

I'd like a Giulia at some point and would put Cross Climates on (You can configure a Giulia and some other cars with all season tyres)

With an A124, if you're driving all year round, it could well be worth it.

Anyway, your car, your choice

Offline Neil R

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2018, 08:24:34 PM »
Fitted Nankang  to a 695 XSR last year......yes it FWD but you can certainly feel the difference in the drive during cold weather. A good choice tyre for a decent price,
Just had them refitted ready for this winter. A lot depends where you live and on the unpredictable British weather.  For me its just trying to be as safe as possible.
Neil.
Abarth 695 XSR Yamaha Limited Edition. Kit Elaborazione.
Carbon Gear stick, Carbon Sill Plates .Smoked Wind Deflectors.

Offline Abarth124owner

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2018, 10:03:17 PM »
Cheers... I got snowed in twice last year due to the commute home with hills and living at the top of a cul de sac hill myself... i watched on Facebook as 4x4s were helping normal cars up hills in my hometown...was glad I booked into a hotel and the second time I watched a 4x4 skid out of a car park so spent another night in the hotel...  this year I've got a trip down to Heathrow and back... and so not want to get snowed in at Heathrow when I land haha... I might invest in them as a precaution... Nankang aren't on black circles so might go for kumho

Offline Neil R

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2018, 08:41:55 AM »
Nankang are available through MYTYRE.CO.UK and OPONEO , both have fitting services through out the uk, Check them out, hope that helps.
Neil.
Abarth 695 XSR Yamaha Limited Edition. Kit Elaborazione.
Carbon Gear stick, Carbon Sill Plates .Smoked Wind Deflectors.

Offline Abarth124owner

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 09, 2018, 07:24:34 PM »
Neil, you are a star! I looked there the other day and seen them but couldn't understand why it asked about fully fitted then only offered home delivery - just relooked luckily and managed to find the 'deliver to fitting station' option! and they're cheaper than BlackCircles where I was looking! Cheers!