Author Topic: Windscreen  (Read 4180 times)

Offline Ian M

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
Windscreen
« on: September 28, 2018, 12:09:26 PM »
Quick question
Do the 124 and the mx5 share the same windscreen?

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Windscreen
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2018, 09:03:04 AM »
Having seen them side by side I'd say they do.  It'd be daft for them to be different and seeing the hood's the same the screen must be too.

Offline Ian M

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2018, 03:55:55 PM »
That’s what I thought
Auto glass seem to be taking a long time to source one

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: XXI5984
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2018, 02:46:58 PM »
Was the windscreen the same ???
Super Duper spider

Offline buckwits

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2018, 03:23:47 PM »
Took auto ass 6 weeks to get mine, and its a 2 man job! Also they have to replace all the plastic surrounds as they cant get them off without braking them, guessing that's the Italian side of the design then.

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2019, 11:28:45 PM »
Did Autoglass do a satisfactory job, buckwits?  I've just got a stone in mine with a longish crack, driver's side, so it's going to need doing.
I'm a bit concerned about the trims, was this done OK?

Offline A

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: EK19XYB
« Reply #6 on: October 13, 2019, 03:09:13 PM »
Auto glass just changed another cars screen and I had to get them back to refit the trim. Hope you have a better experience. I expect you did it on insurance but any idea on the cost?

Offline buckwits

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 13, 2019, 03:21:37 PM »
Couldn't complain RSK, and that's unlike me! Since then I have a chip in the new screen, see if they can repair this one. £25 excess for a repair though, is that a lot or am I getting old?

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 15, 2019, 11:17:02 AM »
Just contacted Autoglass, who have the screen in stock but not the 'chrome trim' for the passenger's side.  I queried this - the car has no chrome trims - but he insisted that's what the system was telling him.  He called back a bit later to ask what colour the trim was, so I told him Metallic Grey, or Gunmetal Grey... he went away to think about it, I reckon!
They're contacting me when they have stock.  Due to the complexity, I have to take it to a depot.  Just got the first MOT reminder, too - which definitely won't be done at the main dealer, too far away and probably more than the thirty quid the guy who MOTs the other 5 charges me.

Offline A

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: EK19XYB
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2019, 03:28:53 PM »
RSK

I was told that autoglass have only 2 depots for tricky cars. I went to one I thought was in Reading. Well if you have to go there really check the postcode location as the depot has changed site from the centre of town to well outside, ie nearly 25min drive. Hopefully this might save you the hassle I had and also good luck on getting it fixed.

A

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2019, 04:45:53 PM »
Surely they must be the same as the MX5 the roof is the same so the windscreen must be the same
Super Duper spider

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2019, 09:47:14 PM »
They told me that due to the complexity of the job it had to be taken to a depot - their nearest depot is Cambridge, so that's where they booked me in.

The screen job is the same as the Mazda - which also requires the trims to be replaced - but the screen apparently is not.  I'm told the Fiat/Abarth version has extra sound deadening and is therefore thicker.  There's threads on this on the 124 Spider forum.  If you look at your screen you will see the curved 'M' logo in the corner - this is M for Mopar, not M for Mazda.  Mopar as in Chrysler.  I don't think Mopar supply Mazda with windscreens.

It's booked in next week so we'll see how we do.

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 18, 2019, 09:28:58 AM »
I use to have a Barchetta many years ago and  it was the same with that I had to book it in and take it to there depot
Super Duper spider

Offline buckwits

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 19, 2019, 02:04:13 PM »
What a load of BS. Auto glass came to my work place in Essex. Took 2 men 20 minutes. It takes 2 men because they cant use the device that holds the glass that fixes to the roof. Query that Roger.

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2019, 06:32:34 PM »
It wasn't a problem actually - not far from me, and gave me an opportunity to sit in their nice guests' office with a free coffee or two and get some work done via their wifi!
Except I didn't get long, as the guy reckoned he could repair the chip and cracks rather than replace.  Before he started he showed me the parts - correct colour on the trims - and the screen, which had been supplied as a Mazda one.  I queried this, but examination of the new screen showed it was a UK-supplied screen by Pilkingtons.  I've never had any issue with Pilkington car glass which is always good quality.  This one had the E-mark for soundproofing on it, an ear with a curve under it, so it is rated as soundproofed.  But it didn't matter in the end as the repair is virtually invisible and the screen didn't crack during repair so it wasn't changed.  He said it's possible for the cracks to progress later from within the repair, and to get in touch if that happens - it's warrantied for my ownership of the car, time unlimited.  And I didn't have to pay anything, as my insurance covers repairs in full but has a £75 excess for replacement.  I'm happy with that, on balance.

Roger