Author Topic: 124 Matte Bonnet Issues  (Read 4712 times)

Offline jrcentury

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: YX18LXD
124 Matte Bonnet Issues
« on: April 18, 2018, 04:17:29 PM »
Recently picked up a 124 in Red with Heritage Pack. The Matte looks great but along the edge it looks like a frayed sticker. White marks all along the edge, I think it's the vinyl wrap edging coming up.
The dealer is claiming this is 'in line with what they've seen'.
I'm trying to gauge if this is an issue, because to me, it stands out like crazy. It's been there since day one. I also had the Gen3 Glasscoat applied gratis because of a delivery delay, I'm not sure how this reacts, could this be the culprit?

Any thoughts?

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: 124 Matte Bonnet Issues
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2018, 11:33:39 PM »
My red car has the vinyl wrap bonnet.  There is a thin strip of what looks like gloss black tape covering the join between the matt vinyl and the gloss red.  It's not lifting anywhere so far - had the car 16 months, but it lives in a garage and hasn't spent too much time outdoors.  We did have it treated on delivery but I can't remember what with.  Is it actually lifting or just a white deposit?  If it's a deposit, maybe a bit of diluted isopropyl alcohol would clean it off.

Offline jrcentury

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2018, 12:15:36 PM »
Thanks, I thought it was a deposit at first because in the rain, I thought I was removing it, but it's returned which is why I then thought, it must be the vinyl. This is brand new, I have sent pictures to Abarth. In some places it looks like edging tape, but in others, the red paint, which is odd. Either way, it doesn't look right.
I will continue to pursue it.

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: XXI5984
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2018, 02:24:03 PM »
Hi everyone i was told that the heritage pack hanOne of the most noticeable features available for the new 2017 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth is a nod to the rich racing heritage of Karl Abarth’s performance-inspired vehicles.

2017 Fiat Spider Abarth
2017 Fiat Spider Abarth

Sweeping across the hood of the roadster is a black racing stripe, which extends to the rear of the car over the lid of the trunk, and harkens back to the 124 Abarth Rally, which swept the top three places of the World Rally Championship in 1974 and cemented the car’s place in racing history.Abarth logo

The stripe originally was painted on the cars to reduce the glare of the sun in the eyes of drivers. Today, the 2017 Fiat 124 Spider Abarth offers the latest in technology, hand-crafted Italian design and state-of-the-art engineering and the option to add the stripe to the performance roadster.

For those customers who choose this option, the stripe is painted on the hood and trunk by hand. Click on the video below to watch the highly skilled craftsmen carefully add this feature to a new 124 Spider Abarth.

That's what it says on the net.

Geoff

Super Duper spider

Offline jrcentury

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2018, 04:02:51 PM »
Maybe at launch. It's been peeled off on mine, it's vinyl. Look under the bonnet you can see and feel the edge.

The dealer has acknowledged it's vinyl, without dispute, they also believe the white edging to be 'residue' from the products they used to clean and treat the car.

I know what it says on the net, but that was launch promo jargon.

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 13, 2018, 04:31:37 PM »
I will have a look at mine a got it a couple of weeks ago it was an ex demo i didn't notice anything
Super Duper spider

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 02:06:09 PM »
The bonnet matt black panel is definitely vinyl - it's only part cover, not a full panel.  The boot, though, is a full panel and is painted inside and out matt black - there's no red on it. 

Offline jrcentury

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2018, 04:37:37 PM »
Exactly the same on mine. Vinyl bonnet, painted boot. The dealer is adamant that the white bits are residue after they destroyed the paint work with the old swirly treatment. I've spent most of this glorious summer with the worst paint job I've ever seen.

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 30, 2018, 11:21:59 PM »
Your right had a good look at mine
Super Duper spider

Offline HarrierJint

• Abarth Enthusiast
  • 189 of 695 Abarth 695 XSR
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2018, 12:14:53 AM »
Exactly the same on mine. Vinyl bonnet, painted boot. The dealer is adamant that the white bits are residue after they destroyed the paint work with the old swirly treatment. I've spent most of this glorious summer with the worst paint job I've ever seen.

It's insane how bad dealers are at cleaning cars. They utterly destroy the paint work.
189 of 695 Abarth 695 XSR

- Garrett Turbo
  - Eibach springs
  - Akrapovic  exhaust
  - BMC filter
  - Kit Elaborazione
    - 180bhp
    - Koni damping
    - Brembo front calipers, drilled front and rear discs
    - FERODO HP 1000 brake pads

Offline 595Record

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 02, 2018, 02:31:50 PM »

It's insane how bad dealers are at cleaning cars. They utterly destroy the paint work.

It is incredible how bad they are. My local dealer, a multi brand , wash their cars  ( and customers ) with a bucket and what looks like a coarse yard broom! I've pointed it out to them but they don't seem to understand. I firmly believe that many dealers only think it's clean when you can see all those nice swirly marks.

Offline bravo1972

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: rx67pxd
« Reply #11 on: July 28, 2018, 04:32:12 PM »
Hi there, I've just joined and had my red spider with heritage pack a couple of weeks. It's interesting my dealer also thought the bonnet was painted when clearly its not. Thank you all for info..... my little problem is light cat scratches on the boot... my wife let him in the garage when I wasn't around!

i've bought some https://www.slimsdetailing.co.uk/valet-pro-matte-protect.html?nosto=nosto-page-product2

Happy motoring

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 28, 2018, 10:32:01 PM »
Did it do the job I also have a red one with the heritage pack
Super Duper spider

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 27, 2018, 02:38:40 PM »
Another thing ive found is when its been out in the rain always wipe the bonnet down otherwise it leaves rain spots
Super Duper spider

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2018, 09:49:03 AM »
...and DO NOT wax the bonnet or boot, not even with wax shampoo or it will gradually go glossy. I use a plain 3M shampoo and a matt detail spray from one of the online usuals.