Author Topic: 124 - Record Monza exhaust issues  (Read 10930 times)

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: XXI5984
Re: 124 - Record Monza exhaust issues
« Reply #30 on: June 15, 2018, 05:44:32 PM »
As I'm new to the 124 and my car will most probably sit in the garage in the winter would the advice be to to remove the spring to avoid any future problems ??
Super Duper spider

Offline StevieJ

• Abarth Enthusiast
  • Modified Abarth - Facebook
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 15, 2018, 09:31:30 PM »
I'd wire it open as well just to be sure, if it does seize over winter at least it will be in the open position.
S4 Comp - remap, TBF intake, Forge BOV, pcv delete, Mishimoto catch can, Power Motive exhaust, Matt Bronze JR29 alloys, Bilstein B14, DNA rear brace, camber plates, lateral tie rods, MTech shifter, Prosport gauge, wearelikewise shifter, GTT batt cover, red speaker grills, matt black roof & spoiler

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 16, 2018, 05:06:24 PM »
good idea thanks
Super Duper spider

Offline edzed

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: August 02, 2018, 12:23:51 PM »
After 18 months ownership I thought it was about time I checked out whether my exhaust valve was seized and sure enough it was. There was no way it was going to be freed, so yesterday the dealer changed it under warranty. This has, however, thrown up another question. The car will not rev above 3000rpm when stationary, but is fine in normal driving conditions. It was like this before the exhaust was changed but I don't recall if it was like this when I first got the car. It's an automatic. Can anyone throw any light on this?

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: August 09, 2018, 06:44:16 PM »
I don't see how that can be anything to do with the exhaust valve - it's just a flap that blows open against a tension coil spring.  Can't speak for autos I'm afraid, maybe someone can help.

Offline buckwits

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: August 10, 2018, 09:58:00 PM »
My 595 comp had a soft limiter, 3000, when stationary, but my 124 does not! Who knows? Crazy Italians!

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: December 11, 2018, 11:38:54 PM »
Just to report on this, had my second service done today (car is two years old - down on the sheet as '18,000 mile service' - it's done 8,000! Guess it goes by the age) - ouch, £380...

I clean forgot I had removed the exhaust spring.  No mention, no comments, exhaust system is apparently fine.  So it stays that way!  I have noticed no difference whatsoever in performance without the exhaust flap spring, it just pops more.  So that's a win, then.

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: December 12, 2018, 09:41:14 AM »
That's seems a lot for a second service
Super Duper spider

Offline James King

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
    • Team Buschfink Racing
  • Registration Number: SD14 OTU
« Reply #38 on: December 12, 2018, 10:15:16 AM »
That's seems a lot for a second service

The prices for my Corsa before were approx. £200 for the first and third services, with the second service being around £400. I had a service plan so I just paid £20 a month to be covered regardless, but the cash amounts were roughly as stated. The 2nd service is normally classed as the "Major" service by manufacturers, although personally I would say it makes more sense to have the 3rd one as the major service, and include the initial MOT in it too.

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: December 12, 2018, 10:26:09 AM »
I had a VX220 Turbo for years the services were always round about £170  but the belt and pump always needed replacing every 4 years and that was the big service £400 but that was a very basic car,i take my spider to a local garage ive used and trusted for years  I had the first service done there in September and had new springs fitted  and that was £250 but of course I supplied the springs ive looked for fixed price servicing for the spider and the second year is £254 but I will stick to my local garage that I have used for years.
Super Duper spider

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: December 15, 2018, 01:51:24 PM »
I service every other car I own myself - I have a pit and all the kit bar the electronic stuff, and have indeed done a couple of extra oil changes and small jobs myself over the last two years.  The only reason I had both first and second services done by an Abarth dealer is purely for the stamp in the book, which is annoying but unavoidable really.  Especially as the second service is noted in the book as a '18,000 mile' service - the car has only done 8,000.  The second service has included the usual things you'd expect biannually:  coolant, brake fluid etc. all of which is pretty straightforward and I'd happily do it, but for the aforementioned stamp in the book.  I didn't even get a free wash as I stipulated I didn't want it washed, due to reported dealer inexperience of dealing with matte vinyl wraps.  I'm very careful about what detergent is used on this car.

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: December 15, 2018, 02:17:23 PM »
I know im going to take my car to the dealers for the main services and to my local dealer for the smaller ones
Super Duper spider