Author Topic: 124 - Record Monza exhaust issues  (Read 10929 times)

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: 124 - Record Monza exhaust issues
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2018, 11:04:28 PM »
It's not difficult!  Lie under car, reach forwards with pointed pliers and twist spring around till it pops off at the flap arm end, then unhook from exhaust bracket.  The flap sits pushed forwards OK (i.e. open), and as the exhaust gases will try to push it open I don't see why it should close again.  Haven't started it up yet so I don't know if it will be noticeably noisier.

Offline jrcentury

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: YX18LXD
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2018, 10:35:59 AM »
How did you get one, did you manage to get any impressive morning starts going?? Is it a monster on start up now?

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2018, 11:39:36 PM »
It's still sitting in the garage - I've been changing the Cobra's front discs and water pump and doing discs and pads on the M135i so haven't got around to running the Abarth yet.  On idle, it's the third loudest car in the garage, so shouldn't be getting any tickets any time soon.

Offline jrcentury

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2018, 04:09:33 PM »
I know it's not the place, but I'd love to see that Cobra. I have a soft spot for those, ever since I was a kid.

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2018, 11:19:53 PM »
A bit OT, but here's the loudest car in the garage:

Offline jrcentury

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 25, 2018, 09:49:23 AM »
Hot Damn.

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 08, 2018, 12:05:52 PM »
Finally got around to driving the 124 today with the exhaust spring removed, no wire or anything else in place.
Tbh, I'm not really aware of any difference (and my wife didn't notice).  I'm assuming the exhaust gases are simply keeping the flap pinned open all the time, which must be better than it seizing and remaining closed.  I don't believe it's moving around - there were certainly no noises or rattles to indicate that, but I wouldn't expect to hear them anyway.  It's certainly not obtrusive on start up:  well, no more than usual anyway...

Offline StevieJ

• Abarth Enthusiast
  • Modified Abarth - Facebook
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 08, 2018, 11:07:42 PM »
I wouldn't leave it unsecured as it's just as likely to sieze closed, best to wire it open just in case.  Get back under it when you have the time and check - I freed mine up and within a couple of days it had seized again.
S4 Comp - remap, TBF intake, Forge BOV, pcv delete, Mishimoto catch can, Power Motive exhaust, Matt Bronze JR29 alloys, Bilstein B14, DNA rear brace, camber plates, lateral tie rods, MTech shifter, Prosport gauge, wearelikewise shifter, GTT batt cover, red speaker grills, matt black roof & spoiler

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 11, 2018, 08:22:01 AM »
I wouldn't leave it unsecured as it's just as likely to sieze closed, best to wire it open just in case.  Get back under it when you have the time and check - I freed mine up and within a couple of days it had seized again.

Did it seize closed again with the spring removed?  I had assumed the exhaust gas pressure would keep it blown open.  Mine is still open at the moment, but obviously I don't know if any pressure effects cause it to close at all during normal driving.

Offline StevieJ

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 11, 2018, 09:00:23 AM »

Did it seize closed again with the spring removed?  I had assumed the exhaust gas pressure would keep it blown open.  Mine is still open at the moment, but obviously I don't know if any pressure effects cause it to close at all during normal driving.

I didn't remove the spring but all the time the car isn't being used the valve will be closed regardless so chances are it will seize shut. Only takes a few minutes to wire it open.
S4 Comp - remap, TBF intake, Forge BOV, pcv delete, Mishimoto catch can, Power Motive exhaust, Matt Bronze JR29 alloys, Bilstein B14, DNA rear brace, camber plates, lateral tie rods, MTech shifter, Prosport gauge, wearelikewise shifter, GTT batt cover, red speaker grills, matt black roof & spoiler

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: May 11, 2018, 02:57:25 PM »

I didn't remove the spring but all the time the car isn't being used the valve will be closed regardless so chances are it will seize shut. Only takes a few minutes to wire it open.

No, I’ve checked it at rest and if you remove the spring and turn it to open it stays open. I didn’t want to wire it because if I forget at service time there could be a difficult discussion - who knows? - no big deal to wire it, though, I suppose.

Offline CaptainBlack

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
    • Abarth 124 Spider
  • Registration Number: 2000RM
« Reply #26 on: May 15, 2018, 01:09:05 PM »
I now factor in a replacement exhaust under warranty every 11-12 months (a bit like I factor in new tyres) and accept the exhaust as a 'consumable' part...!

That's my view too going forward: mine was replaced on the first service after a year.
Richard

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: XXI5984
« Reply #27 on: June 13, 2018, 08:11:39 PM »
So i presume its much more louder with it permanently open ?? ive only had my car a few weeks 124 it was an ex demo haven't had a problem with the exhaust but think i will have a look and remove the spring to save any probs in the future.
Super Duper spider

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 15, 2018, 02:18:06 PM »
I've just done 3000 miles to Amalfi and back in mine (fun - got caught up in the Historic Mille Miglia on the way down) with no real problems.  I had removed the spring and used stainless lockwire to wire the valve open.  It is certainly a little louder on startup, and there is more spitting and popping in 'normal' (i.e. not sport) mode.  This I don't really understand as obviously whether or not he car is in 'sport' has no effect on the exhaust valve.

For most of the trip, around town there was a very annoying and quite loud buzzing rattle, which I assumed was a heatshield or similar come loose above the exhaust.  However when I got home I removed the lockwire and it vanished, which was also annoying as I could have done that at Calais on the way out!  I had felt around the valve during the trip and everything seemed tight.

I've now left it open with no wire.  It is absolutely solid and I cannot close it anyway.  As long as it doesn't affect back pressure or contribute to wear or damage (and I can't see that it would), it'll stay that way until the next service, at which I'll be interested to see what they say (and either do or don't do, with or without telling me!).  I might need to 'express a preference', because the last thing I want is to have to leave the car whilst they order a new part from wherever.

If this thing's going to keep on sticking I would prefer to just leave it open.  Restricting an exhaust at high revs is far more likely to do damage than 'opening' an exhaust at low revs.

Offline StevieJ

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 15, 2018, 02:39:39 PM »
It won't do any harm and I can't see them saying anything. The only issue might be if you claimed for a replacement exhaust under warranty due to a sticking valve and they'd seen it wired/desprung previously.

You apparently lose a little torque lower down the rev range with it permanently open but I didn't notice any difference on my Comp.