Author Topic: 124 - Record Monza exhaust issues  (Read 10928 times)

Offline ANTONY

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: SJ17 RXF
124 - Record Monza exhaust issues
« on: April 05, 2018, 03:59:18 PM »
Hi everyone, new to the club here, got my Abarth 124 back in October, absolutely loved the few weeks of good weather I had with Storm. She went away from mid-Nov after a full detailing and chassis wash.  Brought her out last weekend and started to break her in for the summer. Noticed the engine did not feel quite as free as I remembered and the sound of the exhaust was muffled. Did a bit of researching and heard about the numerous issues folk have had with the valve on the RME systems. Low and behold that was the issue. Got her up on the ramps and attempted to free up the valve with some WD40 and a good wire brush but I  had no luck.

Anyway, the post is to find out if anyone has any other suggestions for a fix, but also to hear if anyone has changed out their exhaust on the 124. Was looking at the akrapovic systems that go on the 595's but I'm assuming the architecture for the 124 will be very different. Also toying with the idea of a bespoke system?

Thoughts?

-Standard atm

Offline StevieJ

• Abarth Enthusiast
  • Modified Abarth - Facebook
    • View Profile
Re: 124 - Record Monza exhaust issues
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2018, 04:49:11 PM »
Assuming the valve setup is the same as my 595 get some mole grips on the end and try that. Mine seized and a combination of that and some XCP One spray loosened it up. If you manage to free it you may as well just wire it open otherwise it'll just seize up again.
S4 Comp - remap, TBF intake, Forge BOV, pcv delete, Mishimoto catch can, Power Motive exhaust, Matt Bronze JR29 alloys, Bilstein B14, DNA rear brace, camber plates, lateral tie rods, MTech shifter, Prosport gauge, wearelikewise shifter, GTT batt cover, red speaker grills, matt black roof & spoiler

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2018, 09:04:12 AM »
Anybody got a photo of this valve, or can describe where it is?  Sounds like a spray of something or other now before it sticks wouldn't be a bad idea.

Offline StevieJ

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2018, 04:53:03 PM »
You can try lubricating it but it'll probably seize eventually regardless.
S4 Comp - remap, TBF intake, Forge BOV, pcv delete, Mishimoto catch can, Power Motive exhaust, Matt Bronze JR29 alloys, Bilstein B14, DNA rear brace, camber plates, lateral tie rods, MTech shifter, Prosport gauge, wearelikewise shifter, GTT batt cover, red speaker grills, matt black roof & spoiler

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2018, 01:16:58 PM »
Thanks, I'll give it a go.  If I can get some anti-seize on there it might help.

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2018, 11:54:06 PM »
I've had a quick look at this - what does it actually do, and how does it work?  I can't see any cables or power going to it.  What moves on it - there seems to be a domed 'button' facing downwards, is this what should turn?
Surely any problems with this so soon should be covered by warranty?

Offline StevieJ

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 09:09:26 AM »
It's just a manual valve and the flap inside gets forced open when the pressure in the exhaust reaches a certain point, on my Comp it was about 3000 rpm. Then you basically have a straight through exhaust. It will be covered under warranty but they all seems to seize up sooner or later which is why people just wire them open before it seizes shut.

This is what mine looked like. If it looks the same as yours then the arrows are where to grip it if you try to free it as the flap rotates on it.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 11:22:17 AM by StevieJ »

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 11:02:43 AM »
Thanks, that's very clear.  The end of the shaft (with the arrow pointing to it) is oriented downwards in the 124 so should be easy to get to.  I might try some Ceratec ceramic brake grease on it first, but will probably wire it open as suggested.

Offline StevieJ

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2018, 11:21:27 AM »
Give the other end where the spring arm is a good spray as well. With the mole grips on the other end you can hold that to get a bit more leverage.

Offline martineh

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 13, 2018, 04:01:16 PM »
I've just swapped from a 595 Competizione which went through 2 Monza exhausts under warranty to a 124 Spider which after less than a year also has a seized exhaust valve.  No amount of penetrating fluid, mole-grips or hammering would release it so... its being replaced under warranty with no quibbles from the dealer.
The warranty manager at the dealership said the best option was to wire it open or shut depending on your taste (and how near your neighbours are) as, in his opinion, it would not affect the warranty if it seized again.  I now factor in a replacement exhaust under warranty every 11-12 months (a bit like I factor in new tyres) and accept the exhaust as a 'consumable' part...!

Offline StevieJ

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2018, 10:56:16 AM »
The design is flawed, they should have just fully encased the mechanism to protect it. I freed mine and it lasted about a day before it stuck again.

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2018, 11:30:24 PM »
Presumably it's just a 'style' thing then, affecting only the sound of the exhaust.  Is it not there to modify back pressure under low throttle opening conditions?  If not, 'wired open' it will be...  I'll have a closer look at it in the week.  As there's a spring holding it closed, removing the spring may be a good starting point.  For warranty/service time, you could always claim it must have fallen off.
I doubt enclosing it would make a lot of difference.  Metal that gets very hot corrodes easily, and both 304 and 316 stainless steel still rust, just a little less readily.

Offline StevieJ

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 16, 2018, 11:23:13 AM »
Supposedly you lose a little bit of torque lower in the rev range with the valve permanently open but tbh I didn't notice any difference.

Offline rsk289

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 16, 2018, 05:00:44 PM »
Just been under to have a look at mine - it has a hefty dose of graphite grease on it already, I wonder if this is from the first service last December?
It turns but is very stiff.  I have given it a soak with Plus Gas.  It's worth noting that  WD40 is NOT a penetrating oil or release agent, it's just a water deterrent spray (hence the 'WD').  That has freed it off a fair bit, but I have also removed the spring and just left it open.  The exhaust thrust will help hold it open so I see no reason why it would close again.  This way, when it goes for service I can act innocent and say it must have fallen off.

Offline jrcentury

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: YX18LXD
« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2018, 04:01:38 PM »
How did you get on removing the spring? Did it do the job?