Author Topic: Steering problem...  (Read 1851 times)

Offline 500Joe

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: SK13 ZVH
Steering problem...
« on: February 20, 2018, 01:15:24 PM »
Hi all

In the last week when driving my Abarth 500 the steering has been feeling very light and is requiring a lot of input to less effect. I don’t drive my car much as I commute to London so it is pretty much always in sport mode. I’ve barely used the normal mode as I hate the city steering, but the car feels like that even when in sport at the moment. There is a squeak coming from somewhere (seems to be the front right hand corner, but I can’t be sure) that occurs when turning at low speed. Could the car have somehow got itself stuck in city mode? Is it suspension? If anyone has any ideas or similar experiences then please share. It’s rather concerning. Tyres and pressures are all fine.

Offline Little blue

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: KS65GFV
Re: Steering problem...
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2018, 09:27:26 PM »
Interesting you mention the squeak, my local approved dealer claimed I needed new rear brakes, albeit after 24k but the mileage was mostly out of town and light brake use, sometimes the steering does feel a bit loose! Good luck, mines just over 2.

Offline 500Joe

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: SK13 ZVH
Re: Steering problem...
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 10:59:10 AM »
Interesting you mention the squeak, my local approved dealer claimed I needed new rear brakes, albeit after 24k but the mileage was mostly out of town and light brake use, sometimes the steering does feel a bit loose! Good luck, mines just over 2.

It seems to be OK now; though the squeak is still there. I think it may just be down to the fact that I was commuting a 50 mile round-trip daily, and now commute to London via train - therefore my car usage has gone down dramatically. It may just be the first 10-15 minutes of driving when it's not been used for a long time.

Funny you should mention the brakes - I did a track day and after that replaced the pads and discs with Brembos. Took the car to my dealership two weeks back who claimed the discs were 'in desperate need' of replacement! I took the wheels off and they are fine...