Author Topic: Order placed, sat here worried!  (Read 2523 times)

Offline goudrons

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
Order placed, sat here worried!
« on: December 30, 2017, 12:38:47 PM »
Hi all,

I've just placed my order for a new 595 Turismo in podium blue with back stripes & mirrors and 10 spoke diamond cut wheels.

I'm no stranger to FCA products, from Uno's, Punto's and Panda's to various Alfa's, so no I'm no stranger to their quirks.

With their Privilege discount scheme I managed to get £3000 of list and a healthy trade in for my Twinair Panda 4x4, so the 595 worked out a bit of a bargain.

My only worry now is speed humps!
I wasn't really thinking about them on my test drive, to be honest I was just sat there laughing my head off as the turbo spooled up.

Trouble is, I'm close to central London and there aren't many roads that aren't stacked with speed humps and bumps, some are enormous brick plateaus with steep ramps, others long fat humps that I envisage getting stuck on and the other square "cushion" type sump rippers!

How does everyone deal with them?

Offline Richard H

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: LL16 PXK
Re: Order placed, sat here worried!
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2017, 10:37:11 PM »
I've only ever had the "base" Abarth (I'm on my third) and as they have developed, the suspension and control has improved, so it won't bottom out if you are careful.

The problem as a whole is that any 500 is small & narrow, so no version is good over speed bumps, you develop a technique, don't straddle them every time, it will ruin the inside edge of the tyres.

Apart from the, you should be fine, don't worry about it and enjoy the car wen you get it.

PS. my current 595 is a Tricolore in podium blue with back stripes and it looks fantastic 8) (especially when polished up)

Offline goudrons

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2017, 01:46:11 PM »
Cheers Richard.

I was sitting there signing various forms while eyeing the showroom model, from the side there doesn't look much of an approach angle.
The gap under front splitter/bumper to the front of the wheel looks fairly narrow, nothing like the Panda 4x4!

I guess I'll need to take it easy until I'm sure it can clear them.

I've read about replacing the rear bump stops with Coupe ones, I imagine that might be an option if the rear bottoms out a lot

Offline noddyrocket

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 01, 2018, 05:04:57 PM »
Slowly is the only way to approach speed bumps, but you will get used to it. Pothole avoidance is the other necessary 595 driving must!

Enjoy the  new car when it arrives, I have a soft spot for the Panda 4x4 and we run a 2013 panda as our other car.  8)
Rory the red 595 Trofeo.  My 3rd Abarth, I must be addicted :)

Offline StevieJ

• Abarth Enthusiast
  • Modified Abarth - Facebook
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2018, 06:36:12 PM »
I've read about replacing the rear bump stops with Coupe ones, I imagine that might be an option if the rear bottoms out a lot

There's no reason to replace the stock bump stops with coupe ones , people only fit them in conjunction with lowering springs.

My car in running on Bilstein B14 coilovers and the only speed bumps I have an issue with are the square ones. As has been advised before reduce your speed accordingly and if possible just put one side of the car over the bump.
S4 Comp - remap, TBF intake, Forge BOV, pcv delete, Mishimoto catch can, Power Motive exhaust, Matt Bronze JR29 alloys, Bilstein B14, DNA rear brace, camber plates, lateral tie rods, MTech shifter, Prosport gauge, wearelikewise shifter, GTT batt cover, red speaker grills, matt black roof & spoiler

Offline HarrierJint

• Abarth Enthusiast
  • 189 of 695 Abarth 695 XSR
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2018, 10:05:52 AM »
I've had a stock 595 and Eibach springs on my 695 with Koni's AND I'm considering B14s. Honestly, speed bumps are the last thing on my mind, don't let it worry you. Just take them slow, I don't think I've ever let it worry me.

That said I've owned a few Lotus's so yeah maybe I'm used to it, honestly though speed bumps don't even register as a thing in my mind, no more than any other car I've owned.

Of all the things I expected this topic to be about (dealers, naff lights) speed bumps was the last thing I expected.
189 of 695 Abarth 695 XSR

- Garrett Turbo
  - Eibach springs
  - Akrapovic  exhaust
  - BMC filter
  - Kit Elaborazione
    - 180bhp
    - Koni damping
    - Brembo front calipers, drilled front and rear discs
    - FERODO HP 1000 brake pads

Offline oVerboost

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2018, 05:39:09 PM »
You'll be fine.... Mines down on coilovers and I have no issues with speed humps anywhere in the country.

Congrats on the order btw  8)

Offline jenniferlouise

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 07, 2018, 09:03:21 PM »
Clearance should be ok, but the hardness of the suspension doesn’t favour potholes or sudden height change that road furniture offers. As others have said, just take it easy. And, like Noddyrocket, I have a soft spot for a Panda 4x4, but don’t have one currently. Enjoy the car; you’ll love it.
Abarth history : 2014 595C Turismo Scorpione Black I 2016 595C Turismo Podium Blue I 2017 695C Yamaha XSR Circuit Grey #035 I saga will be continued...

Offline Darko

• Abarth Professional
  • A500 owner
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 04:17:18 PM »
No problems on speed bumps (just go slow) pot holes on the other hand feel like the end of the world I often stop to check the wheels are still attached!!! It feels like the car has been hit by a sledge hammer from underneath.

This has been the same for all Abarth's I've been in.

Cheers Darko

Offline goudrons

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2018, 10:21:57 PM »
Thanks everyone for the replies.

Dealers are the same whatever you drive, some of the worst I've come across are BMW, Merc and VW.
They all seem to take delight in treating you like sh*t!

Best is our local Suzuki dealer, they actually half filled the tank on the Mrs new Vitara before we collected it!

Had some bad news in the family, so haven't been thinking about the car or it's delivery, though I hear it could be next week.