Author Topic: 2015 595 Comp 160 (gray with red bits)  (Read 2749 times)

Offline Otispunkmeyer

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
2015 595 Comp 160 (gray with red bits)
« on: October 24, 2017, 11:10:27 AM »
IMG_20171021_153235_01 by Alex Mason, on Flickr

IMG_20171021_153247_01 by Alex Mason, on Flickr

I was going to wait to do some proper photos but sack it! the weather is gash here today!

Just picked this up on Friday gone and its gotten under my skin already. Such a grin inducing little thing. Never owned anything like this before, its been all naturally aspirated shopping mobiles to this point (though to be fair, the red Mazda there in shot is a very good car and the engine is a peach). So getting used to the turbo is mighty fun.

Could have stretched to a Comp 180, but couldn't ignore that this car was some 3k cheaper. Its done 60,000 miles but is in super condition with 7 stamps in the service book and cam belt done already at 40,000.  Its absolutely solid. There are only two things to sort:

1. The Monza exhaust whilst visibly rusty in places is still very solid. Back box is in good nick, but the valve is predictably rusted shut and the spring is missing! I will be onto the dealer today as the car is still within its 3 year warranty period.

2. Annoying rattle/knock: Thought it was suspension, but the dampers and bushes are in excellent form. After driving to work today I am convinced it is in the cabin somewhere... its a thin sound, like plastic on plastic. Only happens at low speed too (< 20 mph). Fine once in flow. It feels like its coming from right over my right shoulder.

I was going to get a Turismo because I had it pegged as a nice halfway house, but the Sabelts and the Monza swung it for me. 160 hp feels absolutely enough as well, I have to say. I can't imagine what 180 feels like....this feels nicely judged: A good balance of performance without feeling like its out of control. Still slightly terrifying booting it down a bumpy back road.

I was really worried/apprehensive about going ahead with this thing. I just had visions of being sat far to high to be comfortable for 45 - 60 mins at a time and thought the ride would be so bouncy that I'd be ready for a lie down once I got to work. But none of that is true, its perfect.  Even at 6ft 2 inch I don't find that the seat height is much of a problem really.

I can't get over how good it feels to take corners, its like a go-kart! Frustratingly I haven't had any pops n bangs from the exhaust (muffled anyway as the valve is shut) but my other half has already managed to make it happen 3 times!

I plan on keeping this for a year or two. But I already know it will be replaced with another Abarth (a 124 or another 595) and that will be the first time I have gone back to back with the same brand. I normally have a rule that means I don't buy the same car/brand twice. But for Abarth, they are now the exception.

Offline Neil R

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
Re: 2015 595 Comp 160 (gray with red bits)
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 11:20:32 AM »
Nice looking car , enjoy and have fun. I`m sure you`ll sort out the couple of little niggles fairly quickly.
Neil.
Abarth 695 XSR Yamaha Limited Edition. Kit Elaborazione.
Carbon Gear stick, Carbon Sill Plates .Smoked Wind Deflectors.

Offline StevieJ

• Abarth Enthusiast
  • Modified Abarth - Facebook
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 01:24:56 PM »
Might be worth having a look to see if the valve on the Monza has seized shut. If so I'd try to free it then just wire it open.
S4 Comp - remap, TBF intake, Forge BOV, pcv delete, Mishimoto catch can, Power Motive exhaust, Matt Bronze JR29 alloys, Bilstein B14, DNA rear brace, camber plates, lateral tie rods, MTech shifter, Prosport gauge, wearelikewise shifter, GTT batt cover, red speaker grills, matt black roof & spoiler

Offline Otispunkmeyer

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 03:52:15 PM »
Might be worth having a look to see if the valve on the Monza has seized shut. If so I'd try to free it then just wire it open.

I already checked... rusted and completely seized. Its even missing the spring (not that it would be doing anything). I believe, if the valve hasn't itself, rusted away or got a hole in it.. that its not completely shut. On idle I can feel exhaust gases passing out of all 4 exhaust exits. From looking at the pathways I believe it should be inner two or outer two depending on the valve position.

Then again I could be wrong.

Offline fpan

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 04:20:16 PM »
Nice car!
When the valve is open, exhaust gases exit from all 4 pipes :)

Offline Otispunkmeyer

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2017, 04:35:14 PM »
Nice car!
When the valve is open, exhaust gases exit from all 4 pipes :)

so it must be semi open maybe or possibly the flap itself has rusted away inside! haha

I found the knocking noise inside the car... well, narrowed it down. I put the rear seats down and it went away completely so it must be something to do with the seat backs pressing on the interior plastic or something. Not arsed, will just have the seats down!

Offline Otispunkmeyer

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 02, 2017, 01:25:41 PM »
The garage took a look today and result! I can have a new Monza under warranty. Very happy.

Offline Otispunkmeyer

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 15, 2017, 09:02:01 PM »
Had the exhaust replaced today. Brand new Monza in stainless steel. Sounds fantastic!