Author Topic: Kerb weight and beyond  (Read 11226 times)

Offline Tiptop

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
Kerb weight and beyond
« on: February 26, 2015, 07:55:54 PM »
Just wondered what the actually kerb weight of a A500 is, i have heard so many rumours, factory states the car is 1035kg but i've also heard people throwing round numbers in excess of 1100kg.

Also there is plenty of information on the power gains of aftermarket products but the weight is something that is often overlooked, Having some large mods myself including a full turbo back exhaust system and fmic I've often wondered if i have saved/gained any weight over the standard systems, even small savings on this car can lead to big performance changes for example the difference in 0-60 times from a car on a full and empty tank of petrol.

I find it hard to believe the car has the factory kerb weight of 1035kg when the new 595 with 180bhp from factory has a 0-60 time of 6.7 seconds and the biposto weighing 995kg and 190bhp has a 0-60 time of 5.9 seconds, even with semi slicks and wider tyres that doesn't add up to me. The difference is too extreme
Abarth 500, 190bhp, Abi the little monster, many mods

Offline anewton10

• Abarth Professional
  • Instagram anewton_10
    • View Profile
Re: Kerb weight and beyond
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2015, 09:27:35 PM »
Isn't the 0-60 time for the biposto the fully loaded version (£50000) so it has the dog ring gearbox, hence very little time lost changing gear

Got a weigh bridge near me so i wonder if they would weigh my car for small fee😉
595 Comp 🚙  Bluespark, Forge Hose, Custom Airbox, Asseto Corse Front Grille, Novitec Springs+Coupe Bump Stops, Assetto Gara Lightweight Wheels, Dark Side Repeaters, Mtec Bulbs, Led Interior Upgrade, Heko's, Badge Overlays, Matt Black Badges, 5mm 15mm Spacers, Clear Rear Lights, CAE Racing Shifter

Offline CJ

• 695 Member
  • Dino Abartho
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: DN10WMV
« Reply #2 on: February 27, 2015, 11:27:11 AM »
You would have saved weight with your FMIC as the twin setup has heavier steel pipework but you may have gained a few with your exhaust system which i assume is stainless? Stainless steel is heavier than mild steel by about 5-6% i think. Racing style coilovers and wheels will be lighter (unsprung weight) than standard too. And i would guess that Abarth fiddled with the mapping for a fatter torque curve than bhp.

Even if they shared the same power the lighter car will be faster every time because it has less weight to move.
2010 RossoSfr Essesse~ATM Intercooler~FORGE Intake Actuator BOV~Powermotive CAT Back Exhaust~HPSI Hoses~Bluespark~MTEC SS~PC680 Lightweight Battery~Direnza Coilovers~5F/10R Spacers~17x7 EC SanremoCorse-215/40 Goodyear F1-a little sprinkle of Alcantara

Offline Tiptop

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 27, 2015, 02:42:16 PM »
No doubt biposto is faster but a difference of 0.8 second to 60 for 40kg and 10bhp doesn't stand up in my opinion.
Abarth 500, 190bhp, Abi the little monster, many mods

Offline Skevy

• Abarth Enthusiast
  • Abarth Grande Punto
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 27, 2015, 02:54:01 PM »
I'll let the wise words of James May to explain why there is so little gain. Look at the video below and jump to the 1:35 mark.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LO0PgyPWE3o&feature=youtu.be
ABARTH GRANDE PUNTO 155 
OEM Short Aerial, BMC Panel Filter, Abarth Tyre Pressure Monitors, Esseesse Springs, De-Wipered Rear,  LED Interior Lights,
Punto Evo Pedals, Punto Evo Gear Knob, Sabelt Tow Strap, Supersprint Exhaust.

Offline anewton10

• Abarth Professional
  • Instagram anewton_10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 27, 2015, 04:09:52 PM »
No doubt biposto is faster but a difference of 0.8 second to 60 for 40kg and 10bhp doesn't stand up in my opinion.

Yes but it's not only to do with the weight why the biposto is so quick from 0-60, it has a dog box (if you have that option) so basically you can change through the gears super quick. It's the quickest way of changing gear without an electronic all bells and whistles paddle shift. Basically if you put that gearbox in a new 595 (180 bhp) it would only be 1-2 tenths slower than a biposto due to the biposto's lighter weight and 10bhp more
« Last Edit: February 27, 2015, 04:14:54 PM by anewton10 »
595 Comp 🚙  Bluespark, Forge Hose, Custom Airbox, Asseto Corse Front Grille, Novitec Springs+Coupe Bump Stops, Assetto Gara Lightweight Wheels, Dark Side Repeaters, Mtec Bulbs, Led Interior Upgrade, Heko's, Badge Overlays, Matt Black Badges, 5mm 15mm Spacers, Clear Rear Lights, CAE Racing Shifter

Offline Paullly

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 28, 2015, 08:26:19 AM »
Power and weight isn't everything, better mechanical grip, different ratio gearbox, lower unsprung weight, torque band are all examples of things that can effect 0-62 times as well as what anewton said about the different style gearbox which is a racing style box. Actual weight of a standard 500 with a full tank of fuel, coolant, oil is around 1080kg if the weigh bridge at work is accurate.