Author Topic: Road Trip - Scotland  (Read 2386 times)

Offline Fish

• 695 Member
  • 595 Comp
    • View Profile
Road Trip - Scotland
« on: July 02, 2017, 08:54:02 PM »
OK, I'm off work next week and I'm heading up north of the border. I'm looking for good driving roads that lead close to distilleries. Hotels and B&B recommendations also welcome. :)

Thanks
Fish

Offline 137699

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Road Trip - Scotland
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2017, 10:52:16 PM »
Scotland is a big place - depends where you're going. I've done the highlnds so much it almost feels like a 2nd home to me.

For the most ultimate driving experiences consider:

- Glasgow to Skye via A82 & A87 - then across Skye to the Outer Hebrides - driving from Harris to Lewis and getting the ferry back across to the mainland at Ullapool
- The NC500
- The Bealach na ba "applecross" pass - widely regarded to be the UK's most dangerous mountain pass

My advice would be to avioid the fairly flat and featureless east side of Scotland and concentrate on the west side. With the exception of the Cairngorms - that's a lovely area.

Once you get north of Glasgow, distilleries are everywhere.

Offline zanadoo

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: SA04 ZNA
« Reply #2 on: July 04, 2017, 08:54:32 PM »
I too spend huge amounts of time in Scotland driving around......my favourite road is Callander to Aberfoyle - It's the A821 via Brig O' Turk......the road as it climbs is called Dukes Pass & it has amazing views as well as being 'twisty-turny' - I'd say a perfect Abarth driving road.  If there's ever an Abarth parked up by the side of the road, it's probably me, taking more photos of the view.

This pic is of my old Abarth.  I'd like to do the North Coast 500 one day as there's supposed to be some amazing roads on that trip.

If it's a distillery you're after, try the Glengoyne Distillery on the A81 north of Milngavie but as previously said there are hundreds to choose from!
595 Black with red side-stripe & mirrors, electric sunroof, Nextbase dashcam, cat scratches & stonechips

Previously Podium Blue A595 & Red A500

Offline 137699

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2017, 11:29:27 AM »
Yes Dukes pass is another great road. As is the road from Garlochead to Arrochar.

There are just so many up there you're spoilt for choice.

I did the NC500 last year in my Smart Roadster...

Offline jenniferlouise

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2017, 03:43:24 PM »
Now that is a picture!!  8)
Abarth history : 2014 595C Turismo Scorpione Black I 2016 595C Turismo Podium Blue I 2017 695C Yamaha XSR Circuit Grey #035 I saga will be continued...

Offline 595Record

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2017, 07:51:28 PM »
West Coast - Ullapool to Kylescu Bridge is absolutely stunning.

Offline Fish

• 695 Member
  • 595 Comp
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2017, 09:48:10 PM »
Got back a little earlier, but I have to say the best road without doubt was the A86 from Fort William up to Dalwhinnie! Just find it when there are no lorries to slow you down....

Some cracking roads, beautiful scenery, and the people aren't bad either..... Would definitely do the west coast again, and forget the east.

Fish

Offline 137699

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2017, 09:48:46 AM »
West Coast - Ullapool to Kylescu Bridge is absolutely stunning.

Ah yes that one is a corker also...