Author Topic: Wheel/Brake Squeak  (Read 4293 times)

Offline ThatRedAbarth

• Barely Abarth
  • Instagram: ThatRedAbarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: GR61 GGS
Wheel/Brake Squeak
« on: April 21, 2017, 06:12:01 PM »
Noticing quite an annoying, loud squeak coming from my wheels on my series 4 Abarth 595 Competizione - seems I can only hear it when going slow (15mph or less). Is this a common thing with Brembo brakes? Anyone had something similar and can shed any light on the issue?  :(
Series 4 Abarth 595 Competizione
Abarth Red
Carbon Fibre Sabelts
17" Supersport Matt Black Alloys
Beats Audio
Black Abarth Side Stripe and Mirrors
595 Aluminium Roof Cap

Instagram: ThatRedAbarth

Offline jenniferlouise

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel/Brake Squeak
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2017, 09:50:12 PM »
Option 1 - drive faster
Option 2 - turn up music
Option 3 - embrace Italian build quality
Option 4 - oil brakes (bad option)
Option 5 - put up with it
Option 6 - Jen says it's not the brakes, it's the mouse that lives in the boot 😜
Option 7 - you should be so lucky having Brembo brakes!
Option 8 - ignore it; its bound to pass...
Option 9 - change it, you'll regret it, but the squeak will go away
Option 10 - go back to 1

Now, where did I put my wine glass...?
Abarth history : 2014 595C Turismo Scorpione Black I 2016 595C Turismo Podium Blue I 2017 695C Yamaha XSR Circuit Grey #035 I saga will be continued...

Offline Luigi595c

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2017, 09:59:37 PM »
Judging by how clean your car is you probably have a slight build up of corrosion on the pad sliders causing them to not return correctly from the brake surface

This will be causing the pads to vibrate  as the disc passes by causing the squeal.

The only fix is a strip and clean of the brakes but it will probably just come back again in time as the corrosion and dust returns.

I can check tomorrow if there are any modified parts but I dont think there are sorry.

Offline buckwits

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2017, 11:19:15 PM »
I think its the fact that you have the combination of Carbon Sabelts and Brembo brakes, I do not have this problem, as a gesture of good will I am willing to swap my standard Sabelts and calipers for your clearly faulty items. That's the kind of lovely generous folk you will find on this forum. Lee

Offline ThatRedAbarth

• Barely Abarth
  • Instagram: ThatRedAbarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: GR61 GGS
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2017, 11:49:28 AM »
Thanks for the replies  ;D Third world problems I know lol
Series 4 Abarth 595 Competizione
Abarth Red
Carbon Fibre Sabelts
17" Supersport Matt Black Alloys
Beats Audio
Black Abarth Side Stripe and Mirrors
595 Aluminium Roof Cap

Instagram: ThatRedAbarth

Offline BloodyHematite

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2017, 09:08:55 PM »
I have the same squeak, I think from the right side. Braking (normal or handbrake) does not seem to affect it, and it's only noticeable at low speeds, but annoying indeed. It was faint at first (I've had the car for less than 2 weeks), but some days ago it got noticeably louder.

I called the dealer, and they said the most common cause of squealing is some debris lodged in the brakes, typically between the rear discs and the disc shields. They suggested taking the wheel off and waving a small screwdriver or such around in the gap, but I've yet to try it...might as well have them to take a look instead.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2017, 02:27:02 PM by BloodyHematite »
2015 Abarth 595 Turismo MTA, Bicolore & Sabelts

Offline jackslade

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2017, 10:34:59 AM »
The usual fix is on fairly new pads is to shamfer the edges of the pads. New pads have this but soon wear way. Dont know why all wheels dont squeak.  But it fixes mine.
Black Abarth 500 Esseesse 2011, , red stripes & mirrors, red leather, monza, Android head unit, cruise control, cat 1 & anti hijack alarm system, auto close windows, acci cam, Piaa DRL's. 2 seater. Wrapped Bonnet & spoiler(carbon Fibre)

Offline FLP

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 09, 2017, 11:33:21 AM »
Does it make noise when not braking? I only get the squeak while braking lightly. And that can be seriously loud! But that's what real race cars have too :D
2017 Abarth 595 Competizione with Performance Pack
Mods: Some cosmetic stuff; Rear seat delete; Rear chassis braces; Side underskirts; Stage 1 remap 205hp, 332Nm

Offline holl-93

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2019, 11:35:31 AM »
Did you find any answers to this? i've got the same noise and have had new discs and pads on the front as advised by the garage (where I work), taken it for road test and noise still there!

Offline jpgibson

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2019, 09:07:43 PM »
If its happening when you're NOT braking then it is obviously interference between the caliper and pad ie either one isn't square and leaving enough clearance. KTM had an issue with Brembo discs on the gen 1 1290 SuperDuke R- they squeaked like mad!
If they make a noise when braking ( like my non Brembos), it's often due to pad glazing due to not being hot enough ( or getting up to correct operating temp- an issue when people put track pads on a road car). i have no idea about the compound used for Brembos.
It is annoying though!
2018 595 Competizione