Author Topic: Engine Cleaning.  (Read 1928 times)

Offline Abarth 595 Competizione

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Engine Cleaning.
« on: February 19, 2017, 11:47:59 AM »
Hi All.

I have read through all four pages, but couldn't find anything.

What do you guy's use for cleaning the engine bay and engine? I'm talking about normal cleaning here, not an engine or bay that's never been cleaned with an engine that is greased / oiled up to hell, just a general cleaning recommendation please.

I just purchased some Dodo Juice to give it a try with a 1 to 1 dilution ratio, but, at £8 a 500ml bottle that's not greatest value for money.

I generally tend to cover sensitive areas such as ECU etc with foil so it can be moulded into shape, then use a 2L pressure pump bottle to spray the area and then leave for five mins then agitate with a small brush before finally rinsing it all off with another 2L pumped bottle with just water.

I prefer to do it this way as opposed to a pressure washer for obvious reasons, and the same for a hose pipe, I only want to get enough in there to rinse the cleaning fluid off, not soak the entire area.

PS I did originally post this in the detailing questions area, but got no responses.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2017, 11:53:23 AM by Abarth 595 Competizione »
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Offline IanM

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: YG61 YMZ
Re: Engine Cleaning.
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2017, 08:52:46 AM »
Over the years I have tried loads of products but my go to for cleaning up the engine bay is to dampen the bay taking the usual precautions and apply Autoglym engine and machine cleaner, let it dwell a while and give it a brush with a paint brush if needed on the more stubborn areas then rinse off, then apply Autoglym rubber and vinyl care straight onto the wet engine and then start the engine to let it warm up a bit, switch the engine off and leave it to dry and hey presto a clean shiny engine bay that will only need a dust off in future  :)

Offline Abarth 595 Competizione

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2017, 11:31:50 AM »
Thanks Ianm.

I never even thought of Autoglym, don't know why.
The beatings will continue until morale improves.

Offline fpan

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2017, 09:46:50 PM »
What IanM said. Make sure you cover all electrical connectors and vulnerable parts with foil first.