Author Topic: In Depth Car Washing Guide  (Read 16551 times)

Offline Bertie

• Founder Of AOC
  • Administrator
  • 695 Member
    • View Profile
    • Abarth Owners Club
  • Registration Number: F5 BSB
In Depth Car Washing Guide
« on: January 22, 2015, 03:24:30 PM »
Hi All,

Here I will be posting a in depth guide on how best to wash your Abarth, plus the best products I recommend. I am not associated in any way with any of the product companies I suggest, it is just my personal recommendation. Feel free to ask if there are any substitute products!

What You Will Need

Auto Finesse Products - www.shop.autofinesse.co.uk

Ultimate Car Wash Kit - £34.95
Wheel Maintenance Kit - £36.95
Finale (Detailing Spray) - ££9.95
Revive (Trim Dressing) - £12.95
Crystal (Glass Cleaner) - £9.95
Mercury (Metal Polish) - £9.95
Avalanche (Snow Foam) - £12.95
Primo Plush (Microfiber Towel) - £4.95
Duo Edgeless x3 Pack (2 Sided Microfiber) - £10.67
Tyre & Trim Applicator - £1.95

Ultimate Washing Kit Includes;
Lather (Shampoo)
Citrus Power (Pre Wash Spray)
Luxury Lambs Wool Mitt
Drying Towel

Wheel Maintenance Kit Includes;
Imperial (Wheel Cleaner)
Satin (Tyre Gel)
Mint Rims (Wheel Wax)
Foam Applicator Pad
Tyre & Trim Applicator
Microfiber Cloth

Total - £145.21

Polished Bliss Products - www.polishedbliss.co.uk

Foam Lance + Required Fitting - £48.00
Luxury Wheel Woolies (Brushes) - £38.00

Total - £86.00

Grand Total - £231.21

Optional

Metro Vac Air Force Blaster (Car Dryer) - £199.99

This may seem very expensive, yet these are top quality products that will give the best possible results, they also last a very long time.

You will also need
2 Buckets filled with warm water
Pressure Washer
Lots of spare time!

Washing Steps

1. Pressure wash your car to remove as much loose dirt as possible, start from the roof and work downwards, and give the wheels a good blast too. (This should take at least 10 minutes if done correctly).

2.(Not always required) This is for the winter months or if your car is covered in bug spots; Auto Finesse Citrus power is a pre-wash cleaner I use, you spray it on and let it sit, it will dissolve bug spots and some tar, as well as break down and road salt and general road grime on your car. If you use this; just apply, let it sit then pressure wash it off. This might not always be a necessary step if you always maintain a clean car!

3. Apply Auto Finesse Avalanche using a snow lance - available from polished bliss - and let it sit for 5-10 minutes, depending on how dirty the car is, as well as the weather  (don't let the sun dry it on).

4. Depending on the condition of your wheels, apply Auto Finesse Iron out if they are really dirty and have iron spots, if not use their Imperial wheel cleaner, and let it sit with the foam.

5. Fully rinse the whole car using the pressure washer, making sure you remove all traces of the snow foam and wheel cleaner. The wheels should now be much much cleaner, and easier to clean when it comes to actually touching them!

6. Now you want 2 buckets, each with a grit guard. Fill them both to the top with warm water, add some lather to 1 bucket, leave the other. Agitate the solution using your hand, or using the pressure washer. Build up a thick foamy head.

7. Using a lambswool mitt, gently wash the car starting with the roof using long straight lines, apply very little pressure. I say about 4-6 strokes along the current panel before rinsing in your plain warm water, before dipping back into the shampoo bucket. I like to remove the lance from my pressure washer, and then flood off each panel with water, to reduce any shampoo solution drying into the paint. The lower down the panels you go, the more you should rinse the mitt as there is a greater chance of picking up any grit or dirt that could damage the paint.

8. Once the whole car is washed, I again give it another going over with the pressure washer to remove any last soapy residue or now loose dirt.

9. Wheels - by this stage they should now be pretty clean anyway, and only need some light agitation to finish the cleaning process. I use polished bliss Wheel Woolies, along with another very light spray of Imperial wheel cleaner. I give them a good scrub, and use the remaining shampoo mixture just to provide some water on the brushes.

Drying

I personally use a car drier for this. Its a Air Force Master Blaster, and gives me a totally touch less drying regime. If you really like cleaning your car its a worth wile investment, it saves you time and gives a much better finish than using a drying towel.

However, if using a towel, fold it into quarters, and use long slow sweeping motions starting from the roof and work downwards, changing to a new side for each quarter of the car - front, back , left side & right side. Then another drying towel should be used to dry off the wheels, but don't confuse this with the car towel!

Detailing Steps

1. Treat the plastic around the windows, for this I use AF Revive trim dressing. Gives them a nice glossy black finish, and helps protect them from UV damage etc.

2. Detailing spray on any water spots on the car, again I use AF Finale, along with a microfiber cloth, just a nice spray and gentle wipe, gives the car a nice glossy shine too :)

3. Wheels - I apply a wheel wax (AF Mint Rims) every 3 or 4 washes, it keeps them protected and also makes cleaning them a lot easier! Apply it with a microfiber pad, once applied to all 4 wheels I go back to the first and start to buff it off using another microfiber cloth.

4. Tyres - Apply Satin using the tyre & trim applicator, to give a nice shine to your tyre. This also helps protect the rubber.

5. Exhaust Tips - Apply Mercury using an old rag and give it a good buffing, comes up nice and shiny! Will also work great on the standard exhaust.

6. Glass - Do the glass last, Duo Edgeless and some glass cleaner, try not to spray any onto your paintwork. If you do just go over with it some detailing spray.

Finished

Please feel free to post any questions or advice tips.

I have always been very interested in washing cars properly, and over many years Ive used all different brands of product, and I find Auto Finesse to be the best. All their wash products also work with each other, so if you have any of their waxes or sealants applied, the pre-wash cleaner, snow foam and shampoo wont strip it.

Soon to follow will be a detailed interior cleaning guide.

Bertie
Abarth 124 Spider | San Marino Black | Visibility Pack | Bose Audio | Satnav | #280 of 2000

Offline Tonyspurs

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: T50 PEY
Re: In Depth Car Washing Guide
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2015, 05:28:52 PM »
Great Write up Bertie! very informative  8)
Thought I'd just add that a Metro Vac Air Force Blaster may be too expensive for the casual detailers but you can buy a pet grooming blaster from Ebay/Amazon ect for about £60. Obviously not in the class of the Metro Vac but excellent for wheels,shuts,mirrors,grills ect, I use mine every time I wash my car saves getting those bloody water trails down the door from the mirrors! ;D
This is the one I use got it from Ebay and would recommend it
Abarth 595C Turismo-Scorpion Black-BTB bypass exhaust- Scorpion 200 cell Cat- JFA stage 1 remap-Esseesse Wheels,CF mirror caps- Hydro dipped CF Dash, boot handle,stereo and climate control facias - Matt black custom decals - Heko's,- Pioneer double din install- Go fast red sport button surround ;-)

Offline OCDABARTH

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
    • #OCDABARTH
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2015, 10:09:03 PM »
A great read Bertie ! some really good information in there!

A.M

OCDABARTH
@ocdabarth
#ocdabarth
595 - Campovolo Grey

Offline daniil1990

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2015, 08:50:26 PM »
Bertie, could you add the clay>polish and wax/sealant stages?

i know how to clay and polish but after polish i pre wax? then sealant then wax?

- Bluespark Box.
- Esseesse Springs.
- 1949 White, Black Mirrors, Custom Centre Caps.
- Super Brilliance White - Main, Side, Rear Plate and Fog Lights.

Offline daniil1990

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2015, 08:51:36 PM »
ignore above comment, im super blind. :)
- Bluespark Box.
- Esseesse Springs.
- 1949 White, Black Mirrors, Custom Centre Caps.
- Super Brilliance White - Main, Side, Rear Plate and Fog Lights.