Author Topic: Track day!  (Read 3759 times)

Offline Slytherz

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
Track day!
« on: August 23, 2016, 10:24:15 PM »
Hi guys, heading to Snetterton on the 6th September and being my first track day, I'm gona need insurance...
It's an evening session so just 2 hrs on the track.  Any idea who's the cheapest please?

Also... What psi would I likely to be running round this track?  Ta in advance.

Simon
Record Grey 595 Compizione - ProAlfa Custom Remap - Bilstein B14 Coilovers

Offline Paullly

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: Track day!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2016, 08:20:05 PM »
Not neccesary to have insurance, but you risk having an expensive repair if anything happens. Insurance will most likely cover your car and repairs to the circuit (I.E Barriers)

I'm guessing by PSI you mean tyre pressures, I don't think that will be the main thing to think about on your first track day but checking to ensure it is around 33Psi at the front and 31 at the back while the car is cooling down.

A more likely thi g to thi nk about is brakes, these will be the first thing to give you headaches on a track day, very good fluid with a high boiling point is a easy start, and maybe new pads to help fend off fade for an extra lap or two.

If it is something you are thinking of doing again or if you already have one, a helmet might also be a worthwhile investment. Although rented ones should be more than good enough for your first time out.

Most of all enjoy yourself, don't try racing more experienced track dayers, even if they are in a 'slower' car as they will most likely be able to catch/ overtake you easily and no-one will want to be stuck behind the guy who wont move over and learn your car/ best lines rather than how fast you can go into a corner. You still want to be able to drive your car away after!

(No expert myself as I am doing my second trackday september 12th, these are things I picked up on from my first trackday at Silverstone in Feb)

Hope that helps!

Offline roystinho

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2016, 09:22:57 PM »
Best advice - get some tuition, will make you faster and more efficient on tyres and brakes

I've never done insurance, but only ever tracked lower value Clios, will do for the Abarth when I get it

As above, if serious you can upgrade brakes and tyres pretty easily

Offline DAN@ADRIAN FLUX

• Partnered Insurer
  • Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2016, 11:36:05 AM »
Hi,
Please feel free to give us a try for track day insurance. If you wanted to PM me some contact details I'd be happy to arrange for one of my quotes team to give you a call back.
Regards,
Dan.

Offline Slytherz

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2016, 09:06:44 PM »
Been insured with you for a long time and yet for just an evening sesson of 2 hrs on the track, you want £144 ???  sod that!

Offline Andy595

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: August 25, 2016, 09:12:19 PM »
Been insured with you for a long time and yet for just an evening sesson of 2 hrs on the track, you want £144 ???  sod that!
I'm not an expert, nor a spokes person for Adrian Flux or any other insurer, but they must base their quotes based on risk!
If you don't like the quote, surely a polite refusal is enough and you look elsewhere.
If £144 is expensive what were the other prices you were quoted?
Andy

Offline Scott595

• Barely Abarth
  • 184bhp 254ftls
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2016, 09:41:04 PM »
Will try to make it down there as it's just down the road

Offline Slytherz

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2016, 09:47:57 PM »
Sweet nice one Scott.  I know a lad bringing his Biposto too :-)

Offline AUCTEMERAC

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2016, 04:41:24 AM »
I'm not sure what car you ended up with, but if you have the SS the stock Brembo pads and rotors on those are outstanding, and can take a lot of punishment before fade starts to set in.

Other tips:
  • Get instruction if you can
  • I'm not sure how a 2 hr track session runs where you live, but don't go too hard on driver or car. Do 7 - 10 laps depending on how long the circuit is, a cool down lap if possible then let the car/driver rest for a bit
  • Braking on track is completely different from braking on the road. You want to get as much of your braking as possible done before turning in. You need to be very hard on the brakes, then taper off as approaching the corner. Hard on but not jerky or sudden. You will be surprised how aggressively you can brake before ABS kicks in.
  • I wouldn't worry too much about tyre pressure, but if you do want to tweak it it can make a difference to grip levels. On track I run 30psi on front, and 36 at rear. Note that this is measured when the tyres are hot - ie as soon as you come in from a session. If this is your first ever track day I wouldn't bother.
  • It's a track day, not a race.
  • Respect everyone out on the track - how fast someone is has very little to do with their car. Everyone should be able to go home with a smile on their face and their car intact. Don't drive like an arsehole, eg don't try to outbrake people and divebomb them in to corners.
  • Related to the above - respect the overtaking rules and flags. I've had plenty of sessions ruined by drivers who couldn't believe that an Abarth could be faster than their C63, Maserati, etc and wouldn't let me pass. If you're slower, let them pass, but safely.  Eg don't try to wave someone past in the middle of a bend
  • That insurance quote sounds pretty reasonable, I'm surprised they even offer track insurance. Very difficult to get in Australia.
  • If it's wet, back off a bit and use it as an opportunity to learn the limits of car and driver in the wet. It's amazing what you notice in the rain - eg you can feel the differences in grip levels with changes in the track surface. This is much more subtle than in the dry and is very useful for safe day to day driving
  • Remember you're there to have fun!
TD04-13T
Forge induction
G-tech exhaust
BC Racing BR Series coilovers
Falken RT615K
ATM intercooler
Brembo BBK with Project Mu pads
Stainless brake lines
DNA rear torsion bar

Offline Slytherz

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 27, 2016, 04:10:30 PM »
Fantastic cheers Flutes :-)   great tips fella! :)