Author Topic: Spring detail - plus bootlid question  (Read 5062 times)

Offline sjs202

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
Spring detail - plus bootlid question
« on: May 16, 2016, 03:46:55 PM »
Hello all.  Yesterday I completed the A500s spring detail.  I was going to leave it a little longer but the paint badly needed some protection plus we had lovely afternoon weather.

After washing I first used a Meguiars clay bar and Quick Detailer.  Then some Meguiars Ultimate Compound.  This stuff is quite hard to put on as you have to break it down to get the best results, which is quite hard work by hand.  It’s quite difficult to take off too but the results are worth it.  Next up, a coat of Finishkare 1000P sealant.  This stuff is great on its own for a sealant top up and is the one I normally use on its own during the winter.  Finally, finished off with some Meguiars Deep Crystal Carnauba Wax.  This one is a favourite of mine, it gives a lovely wet look gloss and is very easy to apply and remove.  This process was done panel by panel, by hand with microfiber cloths.

I have been using these products for years but not in this order – this is the first time I have put the wax on after the sealant (as I always thought it was the other way round!!).  And the results are superb.  That was all I had time for yesterday, so I finished up the job quickly with some Meguiars Tyre Gel to finish the look.  Will do the rest (interior, plastics, windows, exhaust tips) during a wax top up in a month or so when I get the wheels refurbed.  The bumper is coming off as well soon to fit a Maxton splitter so I will get it on the workbench and have a good go at that and filling in all the stone chips.  So she’s now sitting on the driveway looking stunning.  As always pictures don’t really do detailing work justice but here’s one anyway:

My question relates to the claying process.  There really wasn’t a great deal of contamination on any of the panels really with the exception of the bootlid (of course!).  This panel was really rough, the clay felt very scratchy all over it.  Even with going over several times I couldn’t get all of it off.  Whilst it is certainly much better there are still tiny blobs of tar and contamination that wouldn’t budge.  I tried some IPA but that did not work at all.  So does anyone have any advice or tips on how I can get all the muck off this panel?  Any particular tar remover that I could try maybe?  Thanks all.
A500  |  2010  |  pasodoble red  |  white petal alloy wheels  |  white side-stripes & mirrors  |  BMC air filter  |  Forge intake hose  |  Mtec short shifter  |  DNA front chassis braces - subframe & lateral  |  Maxton front splitter  |  Forge actuator  |  ProAlfa remap  187bhp/240lb.ft

Offline sjs202

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
Re: Spring detail - plus bootlid question
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2016, 08:45:16 AM »
Thanks.  Have done some googling, I assume something like iron-x would do it?

Can anyone recommend a tar remover as there are so many of them!
A500  |  2010  |  pasodoble red  |  white petal alloy wheels  |  white side-stripes & mirrors  |  BMC air filter  |  Forge intake hose  |  Mtec short shifter  |  DNA front chassis braces - subframe & lateral  |  Maxton front splitter  |  Forge actuator  |  ProAlfa remap  187bhp/240lb.ft

Offline Brian1612

• 695 Member
  • 200 bhp Competizione
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 19, 2016, 04:28:01 AM »
They are essentially all the same. I used to just use tardis as it was really cheap but aggresive... but now prefer stuff that is a little more gentle but still effective. Obsession wax do a nice citrus based tar remover. HDD ferrous ferric is a gel based fall out remover and the best I have came across. Smells good for a fall out remover and quite cheap also.

Ultimate compound is most effective by DA but does do a decent job via hand also. I hope you gave your car a wipe down with diluted IPA prior to application of the fk1000p as it works best on a perfectly bare paint.

Ultimate compound would gave left oils on the body of the car which would reduced the bonding of the fk1000p, reducing it's durability.

Good effort though on the car, looks like you have a good idea of how to look after your car! :)
---Abarth 595 Competizione Owner---
-Grey Leather Sabelts
-Interscope
-Yellow Brembos
-Engine Remap
-H&R Springs
-12mm & 16mm Spacers
-Mtech Short Shifter
-LED rear lamps
-CF Front Splitter
-CF Dipped Dash
-Yellow Exterior Details (Scuderia Stripes/Scorpions)
-Aluminium Speaker Covers & Plaque

Offline sjs202

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2016, 04:06:54 PM »
Thanks for the details on the different products there.  Nice to have a little extra info.  Would like to get some fallout and tar remover soonest so I can have another go at the bootlid.

Re. IPA wipedown before 1000p - no I didn't.  But will remember that for next time  :)

Offline Brian1612

• 695 Member
  • 200 bhp Competizione
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2016, 10:52:29 PM »
It's not essential sjs but if durability is key for you I'm sure it will be a worthwhile step :)
-Grey Leather Sabelts
-Interscope
-Yellow Brembos
-Engine Remap
-H&R Springs
-12mm & 16mm Spacers
-Mtech Short Shifter
-LED rear lamps
-CF Front Splitter
-CF Dipped Dash

Offline sjs202

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2016, 10:08:04 PM »
Ordered some Carpro tar-x and iron-x which arrived this week.  Used tar-x first then iron-x on the boot-lid.  Huge improvement!  Almost all of the little black bits have gone now.  Waxed up great afterwards.  Also did the sides-skirts. 

They need to be used with caution though - the tar-x is a strong solvent and feels soapy on your fingers - because its dissolving the oils on your skin!  And you wouldn't want to get any iron-x in your eyes or breathe the mist - PPE required!

Offline fpan

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 25, 2016, 10:54:34 PM »
I can't stand the smell of Iron-X. Had a bottle that used twice and had to throw the rest away.

Offline sjs202

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 28, 2016, 09:25:43 PM »
It's nasty stuff alright. Definitely need to be up wind of it!

Offline Brian1612

• 695 Member
  • 200 bhp Competizione
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 28, 2016, 10:33:41 PM »
HDD ferrous ferric, you can thank me later ;)
-Grey Leather Sabelts
-Interscope
-Yellow Brembos
-Engine Remap
-H&R Springs
-12mm & 16mm Spacers
-Mtech Short Shifter
-LED rear lamps
-CF Front Splitter
-CF Dipped Dash

Offline AlexmenKa

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
    • Hi
Spring detail plus bootlid question
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2016, 12:55:04 AM »
Just got blood tests done last week they all came back clear.

Is it common for Finasteride suffers to pass blood tests without any problems ?