Author Topic: Streaky Streaky Streaky  (Read 3668 times)

Offline BMG

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: YC16XUU
Streaky Streaky Streaky
« on: May 05, 2016, 11:54:15 AM »
Hi Guys,

Firstly i've never really taken great care of a car, sure i give it a good wash now and then but nothing more.

So spent a good few hours with the car yesterday, gave her a good wash & a wax with autoglym shampoo & aqua wax.

Followed the instructions... buffed with a clean dry cloth...

from about 10 feet away she looks great, really shiny, water is sliding off nicely but on close inspection she is really really streaky! have i applied too much wax?

Any tips for a beginner?

Cheers

Offline Brian1612

• 695 Member
  • 200 bhp Competizione
    • View Profile
Re: Streaky Streaky Streaky
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2016, 12:09:30 PM »
Not at all clued up with Aqua wax as I don't use those type of products much.  Usually with wet spray sealant type products using too much or allowing it to sit on the panel too long, allowing it to dry can result in streaks. I imagine a reapplication may help remove them but quick application is key, panel at a time if need be.
---Abarth 595 Competizione Owner---
-Grey Leather Sabelts
-Interscope
-Yellow Brembos
-Engine Remap
-H&R Springs
-12mm & 16mm Spacers
-Mtech Short Shifter
-LED rear lamps
-CF Front Splitter
-CF Dipped Dash
-Yellow Exterior Details (Scuderia Stripes/Scorpions)
-Aluminium Speaker Covers & Plaque

Offline BMG

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2016, 12:15:21 PM »
Thanks Brian,

It was reasonably sunny when i was finishing off so maybe too warm for it, i did a side at a time so i'll try again with smaller areas and see if i get a better result.

If you are not a fan of that type of wax is there something you would recommend instead?

Cheers
Ben

Offline Brian1612

• 695 Member
  • 200 bhp Competizione
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2016, 04:30:43 PM »
It really depends what you are after ben. I personally prefer a good old fashioned paste wax but if that is too time consuming for you, there are a huge amount of polymer spray sealants on the market now from companies like KKD & Autoglanz.

They aren't my cup of tea but for those who don't like spending hours they are effective.
-Grey Leather Sabelts
-Interscope
-Yellow Brembos
-Engine Remap
-H&R Springs
-12mm & 16mm Spacers
-Mtech Short Shifter
-LED rear lamps
-CF Front Splitter
-CF Dipped Dash

Offline BMG

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2016, 09:40:07 AM »
To be completely honest I haven't the slightest idea about traditional wax or aqua wax, the stuff im using at the minute is just a kit i got a while back free with a car & i've been using the stuff in it ever since.

This however is the first time i am actually interested in the results & looking to learn more about the process.

I'd be quite happy to spend an hour or 2 on a weekend doing whatever with the car so i don't know whether that is enough time to look at traditional products or i should be looking at quicker options.

I've seen your guides and reviews so i'm going to have a good look through there and see what i can learn, at the minute i just know i need to get a lot better at detailing if i'm ever going to take my car to a show / meet lol :)

Thanks for your time Brian its much appreciated

Offline Brian1612

• 695 Member
  • 200 bhp Competizione
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2016, 12:23:37 PM »
Key is prep work BMG. The gloss finish comes from the polishing stage. The wax or sealant you choose is about 90% for protection, they offer a slight increase in some gloss & reflection etc. but nothing substantial most of the time. If you need any advice feel free to leave a message in this thread or message me directly bud.
-Grey Leather Sabelts
-Interscope
-Yellow Brembos
-Engine Remap
-H&R Springs
-12mm & 16mm Spacers
-Mtech Short Shifter
-LED rear lamps
-CF Front Splitter
-CF Dipped Dash

Offline Andy595

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2016, 09:11:39 PM »
I also had a streaky result when using a wax finish a couple of weeks ago, only just got round to looking at it. I washed again and the used G Techniq Quick Detailer, the finish looks great.

Don't know how long it will last, but at least I know how to resolve an issue if I cause an issue!

Andy