Author Topic: Cleaning in the cold.  (Read 10621 times)

Offline RC

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
Cleaning in the cold.
« on: January 30, 2015, 07:07:25 PM »
Picked up a load of Auto Finesse products this week - was looking forwards to spending a few hours tomorrow on a good old session with the pressure washer using my new snow adaptor and all the gucci AF stuff recc by Scenyx.

Weather is a steady 0 to 4 degrees all day though - too cold for some of the products? They do say not to be used in very cold or warm temps. The wax, high coat etc.

Might just have a blast with the pressure washer and snow foam just to get the dirt and grit off (damn lorries!) and save the big session for a warmer day.

Offline Bertie

• Founder Of AOC
  • Administrator
  • 695 Member
    • View Profile
    • Abarth Owners Club
  • Registration Number: F5 BSB
Re: Cleaning in the cold.
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2015, 07:13:33 PM »
What products are you looking at using tomorrow?

Use hot water in your snow foam bottle for some added cleaning power :)

Abarth 124 Spider | San Marino Black | Visibility Pack | Bose Audio | Satnav | #280 of 2000

Offline RC

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2015, 09:05:44 PM »
I was going to use the following (not in order of use, just copy pasted from the online order)

Auto Finesse Tripple All in One Cleaner Polish 500ml

Auto Finesse Mercury Metal Polish 100ml

Auto Finesse Avalanche Snow Foam 5L

Auto Finesse Ultimate Cleaning Kit - Detailing Kit - Citrus Power / Lather

Auto Finesse Tough Coat 250ml Paint Sealant

Auto Finesse Wheel Maintenance Kit

Auto Finesse Revive Trim Gel 250ml

I seem to have forgotten to get the Finale - ho-hum, will pick some up from the forum sponsors! :)

Offline Bertie

• Founder Of AOC
  • Administrator
  • 695 Member
    • View Profile
    • Abarth Owners Club
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2015, 11:27:40 PM »
For now seeing as its cold, I'd give it a spray with the citrus power first, and let it dwell for 5 minutes to break down any road salt and grime. Then, pressure wash it all off :) then snow foam it and let It dwell for another 5 minutes and rinse off again :)

2bm hand wash with nice warm water!

Depending on the condition of your paint, you could get down a layer of tough coat, just on the lower potions of the car to give some protection :)

The Mercury Polish is great for the exhausts and provides some protection too.

As for the Tripple - I wouldn't bother with it just yet, and really you want to apply it to decontaminated paint work. It also works better with a carnauba wax to top it off instead of a synthetic sealant.

Apply the tough coat to your sunroof side windows and rear windows too it's great on glass. You can also apply it to clean and dry wheels! Just spray it on then wipe it over, allow to dry and then buff off :)

Finale to finish, but be quick to buff it off in the cold weather, it will flash very quickly and may streak :)

Hope this helps :)

Bertie
Abarth 124 Spider | San Marino Black | Visibility Pack | Bose Audio | Satnav | #280 of 2000

Offline KK_96

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2015, 11:42:45 PM »
I have a hot water hose tap (mainly for the dogs benefit), would that be alright to use with the pressure washer? It's like a normal hot water tap and will become very hot eventually
Abarth 500 Campovolo grey

Offline RC

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2015, 08:25:38 AM »
Cheers Bertie!

I have a clay bar, 2 buckets, lambswool mitt.

Once it warms up what else shouldI pick up to do a 'full job' and in what order? Some Carnuba looks a given and some Finale too?

It's snowing heavily at the mo so apart from a pressure wash to de-grit I can't see me getting much done today :0( so I mayas well order something for a warmer day!

Offline Bertie

• Founder Of AOC
  • Administrator
  • 695 Member
    • View Profile
    • Abarth Owners Club
« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2015, 09:49:59 AM »
I honestly don't know about hot water feed into a pressure washer - I know mine has a water cooler motor so it wouldn't be a good idea for mine, that's something you would need to check with Karcher.

RC that sounds like the best idea, yesterday I just snowfoamed mine then rinsed it off, I didn't even dry it, there's just no point.

Yes I would wait for it to be much warmer to clay the car etc.

It all depends on how you want to protect the paint. Tripple is a polish, filler and wax all in one, so it leaves a thin carnauba wax behind. The tough coat will still stick to this, but not as well to completely clean paint.

where are you located By the way? If it's not too far I am happy to come
And help  :)

Yes you can't beat finale it's a awesome quick detailer :)

Bertie

Offline RC

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2015, 11:16:51 AM »
OK it sounds like Tripple will do the job - I just need to get some Finale - kicking myself for missing it off the list.

Will get on with trying out the Avalanche and my new snow foam attachment today - I believe I'm miles away from you btw I'm J29/30 off the M1 between Mansfield and Worksop. About 12 miles from Autoworld Abarth.

Offline Bertie

• Founder Of AOC
  • Administrator
  • 695 Member
    • View Profile
    • Abarth Owners Club
« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2015, 12:12:25 PM »
Yes quite a way then!

I hate not being able to give the car a good clean :(