Author Topic: In Depth Wheel Cleaning Guide  (Read 11201 times)

Offline Bertie

• Founder Of AOC
  • Administrator
  • 695 Member
    • View Profile
    • Abarth Owners Club
  • Registration Number: F5 BSB
In Depth Wheel Cleaning Guide
« on: January 30, 2015, 05:55:16 PM »
As promised, here is an in depth guide on how to fully clean your wheels!

The wheels were removed in this case, but you dont have to take them off to still do a good job!

Products Needed

Iron Remover
Wheel Cleaner
Selection Of Brushes
Wheel Wax / Sealant
Applicators
Time & Patience!

How To

1. Liberally apply the iron remover, in this case I used my sample from Waxybox, and also some AF Iron Out. Both worked really well! I left it for about 10 minutes to really do its work (out of the sun), check out the results!

2. Pressure wash off completely, and see what you're left with! In my case they came up about 90% clean, but had some ingrained dirt and on one wheel quite a large tar spot!

3.Apply tar remover to the required areas, leave it to work then wipe / rinse away the tar.

4. Next I used AF's new Revolution Wheel Soap, it lathered up really nicely and had a real bite in regards to cleaning power, im really impressed! I used a dedicated wheel mitt and some brushes, and gave the barrel and face a good clean. I also applied some Imperial to the inside of the wheel to remove some harsher dirt. Give the tyre a good scrub with a brush too, to remove old tyre dressings. At this stage I also went round with some clay just to make sure the insides of the wheel were completely clean! It also helps remove any left over tar and iron deposits.

5. Dry your wheels off, for this I used my Metro Air Blaster along with a microfibre drying towel (dedicated for wheels).

6. At this point you can go straight to applying a sealant or wax, but I dediced to give the barrels and face a quick polish with some Tripple. It did quite a nice job and gave the barrels a nice shine!

7.Seeing as it contains a wax, I gave the wheels a wipe down with some Panel wipe to remove it, as I was going to be appling a sealant - a sample of Slick Rims.

8.Using an applicator pad, apply your sealant or wax as per the instructions. In my case I applied a very thin layer of slick rims, allowed it to haze then buffed it off.

9. I thought Id experiment, so added some AF Tough Coat as well, one quick layer on the face and inside, again left to haze then buffed off!

10. Finally, I applied 2 layers of Mint Rims, which is always easy to work with and easy to remove. I allowed a day between layering.

11. I also gave the tyres a quick check over, glad I did !!

Hopefully it can be repaired!
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 04:21:24 PM by Scenyx »
Abarth 124 Spider | San Marino Black | Visibility Pack | Bose Audio | Satnav | #280 of 2000

Offline S13GE

• Events Leader
  • 695 Member
  • Instagram - ts13ger
    • View Profile
    • My Soundcloud
  • Registration Number: TS13GER
Re: In Depth Wheel Cleaning Guide *Coming Soon*
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2015, 06:55:19 PM »
There is a really good simple guide on YT that a stumbled over - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aqMgxinzuvA
Modena Yellow 595 Competizione | Performance Pack |  Novitec Challenge Corse Evo Exhaust | TMC Decat | RamAir Induction Kit | H&R Lowering Springs | DNA Camber | M-Tech Short Shifter | Yellow Brembos | Beats Audio  system | 7" Infotainment sat nav | T4P Stage 1 remap:::226bhp/295lbft insta me :D

Offline Bertie

• Founder Of AOC
  • Administrator
  • 695 Member
    • View Profile
    • Abarth Owners Club
Re: In Depth Wheel Cleaning Guide
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2015, 04:21:32 PM »
Done :)
Abarth 124 Spider | San Marino Black | Visibility Pack | Bose Audio | Satnav | #280 of 2000

Offline Brian1612

• 695 Member
  • 200 bhp Competizione
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2015, 05:15:18 PM »
Brilliant as always Bert, your wheels look absolutely brilliant, could eat your dinner off them! ;)

Was it the Nanolex iron out you used as I was planning on trying that sample from the waxybox xl on my wheels and the Bilt Hamber korrosol on my bodywork! How was it and the slick rims? Waiting on my GF bringing me this months waxybox edition! ;)
« Last Edit: March 31, 2015, 05:19:14 PM by Brian1612 »
---Abarth 595 Competizione Owner---
-Grey Leather Sabelts
-Interscope
-Yellow Brembos
-Engine Remap
-H&R Springs
-12mm & 16mm Spacers
-Mtech Short Shifter
-LED rear lamps
-CF Front Splitter
-CF Dipped Dash
-Yellow Exterior Details (Scuderia Stripes/Scorpions)
-Aluminium Speaker Covers & Plaque

Offline Bertie

• Founder Of AOC
  • Administrator
  • 695 Member
    • View Profile
    • Abarth Owners Club
« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2015, 05:19:34 PM »
Yeah that was it, I couldnt remember the name!

TBH mate I think they're all the same really, they all smell bad and give you a purple run off to see the reaction!

Offline Brian1612

• 695 Member
  • 200 bhp Competizione
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2015, 05:27:36 PM »
My car being an 11 plate and I doubt it has ever been fully detailed so looking forward to seeing the reaction haha! I have been looking at quite a few Nanolex products, I have there premium glass sealant/polish/cleaner kit to use as well, really good products It seems going by reviews! Next will be there wheel sealant once the mint rims is finished! ;) and quite impressed with reviews of there paint sealants which I have a sample to try also, have you tried the nano one yet bert?
-Grey Leather Sabelts
-Interscope
-Yellow Brembos
-Engine Remap
-H&R Springs
-12mm & 16mm Spacers
-Mtech Short Shifter
-LED rear lamps
-CF Front Splitter
-CF Dipped Dash

Offline Bertie

• Founder Of AOC
  • Administrator
  • 695 Member
    • View Profile
    • Abarth Owners Club
« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2015, 06:11:58 PM »
No not tried it!

I prefer waxes, and Ive got a whole pot of Desire which looks unreal on black, and just ordered some Illusion to layer over it for the summer so cant see myself using it! Will probably end up selling it to someone!

Yeah you should see a good reaction, especially on a white car it really shows up!

No the slick rims was the main sealant that went on first, tough coat then mint rims. Was hardly any Slick Rims in the sample, just managed to do 4 wheels inside and out. Its claimed to last 10k miles, but wel see!

Bertie

Offline Brian1612

• 695 Member
  • 200 bhp Competizione
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2015, 09:19:22 PM »
I suppose wax's work better on your car being black Bert. As I have a light colour in the Camp grey I think Sealants should give me better results but I enjoy using the wax, why I have basically decided to use both through the year as sealants suit winter months when your pressed for time!
-Grey Leather Sabelts
-Interscope
-Yellow Brembos
-Engine Remap
-H&R Springs
-12mm & 16mm Spacers
-Mtech Short Shifter
-LED rear lamps
-CF Front Splitter
-CF Dipped Dash

Offline Bertie

• Founder Of AOC
  • Administrator
  • 695 Member
    • View Profile
    • Abarth Owners Club
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2015, 03:05:12 PM »
Yeah thats the best way to do it, il chuck some tough coat on for the winter!

Treated the wheels to a 3rd layer of mint rims today! They are well and truely protected now, should be an absolute breeze to clean, snowfoam and a pressure washer should be enough!

Offline Brian1612

• 695 Member
  • 200 bhp Competizione
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2015, 03:16:29 PM »
I have Bilberry wheel cleaner, will this affect the durability of the mint rims once applied? If thats the case may just use the wheel cleaner on the family cars as well haha!
-Grey Leather Sabelts
-Interscope
-Yellow Brembos
-Engine Remap
-H&R Springs
-12mm & 16mm Spacers
-Mtech Short Shifter
-LED rear lamps
-CF Front Splitter
-CF Dipped Dash