Author Topic: Tar spot questions  (Read 6315 times)

Offline Andy595

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
Tar spot questions
« on: December 12, 2015, 06:21:44 PM »
Hi

I am normally quite particular about cleaning and polishing my car, using Autoglym products almost exclusively, never found them a problem, but reading posts on here and seeing some pictures of others cars has made me think…

So I recently bought some detailing products, some Micro Fibre cloths, Pack of 10 GTechniq MF1 and an MF4 Diamond sandwich. A WM2 wash mit. Some G-wash shampoo and Auto Finesse Essence Carnauba wax.

As well as this I got some G Techniq G5 water repellent coating and Dodo juice Supernatural tyre dressing.

Having had the new car professionally detailed just after delivery, and it been winter I don’t expect to spending a great deal of time out on the drive, but am willing to share a few thoughts.

Firstly the Microfibre cloths! Wow! I have always used a leather to dry the car. The MF4 is a revelation, soaks up the water immediately, and is streak free.

Secondly, the G5 water repellent coating was actually bought for our shower cubicle. Luckily, as I hadn’t realized it is not for use on a vehicle travelling faster than 40 mph!

If any of you have a shower enclosure that looks a tad grubby with soap and “products” sticking to the glass, this stuff is chuffing brilliant, don’t hesitate for the sake of a tenner!

I’m not sure about the tyre dressing, I may have applied it when the tyres were wet, but doesn’t look too good.

A question for you guys though.

Having had the new car detailing done, I went to wax the car last week, but could only do the bonnet and roof as every other panel has tar spots. I do have some AutoGlym Tar remover. Is it OK to use on the detailing coating or is it likely to strip that off as well as the tar?

Andy

Offline Fish

• 695 Member
  • 595 Comp
    • View Profile
Re: Tar spot questions
« Reply #1 on: December 12, 2015, 07:33:10 PM »
It would most likely remove any protection that has been applied (I'm thinking a wax was the protection), it might be ok with some of the detailer applied sealants (Gtechnic C1/Exo).

There is a non/removing way using margarine.

Fish

Offline Brian1612

• 695 Member
  • 200 bhp Competizione
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: December 12, 2015, 10:26:34 PM »
Fish pretty much answered this question spot on!
---Abarth 595 Competizione Owner---
-Grey Leather Sabelts
-Interscope
-Yellow Brembos
-Engine Remap
-H&R Springs
-12mm & 16mm Spacers
-Mtech Short Shifter
-LED rear lamps
-CF Front Splitter
-CF Dipped Dash
-Yellow Exterior Details (Scuderia Stripes/Scorpions)
-Aluminium Speaker Covers & Plaque

Offline Andy595

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 13, 2015, 10:45:10 AM »
Thanks guys, margarine eh?

I know it sounds a bit snobby, but will butter do?

Andy

Offline Andy595

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 23, 2016, 05:51:22 PM »
Hi again.

Having just washed the car again today, the tar spots are become ridiculous. I didn't clean them off before, but now am going to have to.

I think one panel at a time it's that bad.

Any how, I will be using the Autoglym tar remover. I will then be waking the panel again, my next step is the reason for the question.

Is there any merit or benefit to polishing with the Autoglym Super Resin polish I have prior to using the Carnauba wax?

Thanks

Andy

Offline Fish

• 695 Member
  • 595 Comp
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 23, 2016, 06:53:20 PM »
A polish should/will remove any waxes. Just rewax after. ;)

Fish

Offline Andy595

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2016, 08:20:28 PM »
A polish should/will remove any waxes. Just rewax after. ;)

Fish

Cheers.

I am resigned to the finish the Detailer put on being removed, so as long as there is no detriment to the finish, I shall use both.

Andy

Offline Brian1612

• 695 Member
  • 200 bhp Competizione
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2016, 12:31:01 PM »
The shine and finish comes mainly from the polishing stage so that is equally important to use. Your wax/sealant adds a little gloss/reflection but its main goal is to protect the polished finish.
---Abarth 595 Competizione Owner---
-Grey Leather Sabelts
-Interscope
-Yellow Brembos
-Engine Remap
-H&R Springs
-12mm & 16mm Spacers
-Mtech Short Shifter
-LED rear lamps
-CF Front Splitter
-CF Dipped Dash
-Yellow Exterior Details (Scuderia Stripes/Scorpions)
-Aluminium Speaker Covers & Plaque

Offline Andy595

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 29, 2016, 08:11:35 PM »
Thanks for the replies guys.

Disappointingly in removing the tar spots on the passenger door with the Autoglym intensive tar remover, I have put some small rub marks on the paint work. :-[

I do have some cutting polish but am generally loath to use it, in fact I haven't used in many a year.

Can I ask, if I do use the cutting polish with a microfibre cloth, am I likely to rub out the marks or will it need a polishing head on a machine?

A second question.

The above issue came about with me using an old piece of shirt (good quality M&S), is it likely that any cloth would have caused the same issue? Is it the Autoglym product not being up to the job and n=me having to put too much pressure on the panel?

I did see a response earlier saying G Techniq have a good product, is this less likely to cause the same problem?

Appreciate your help and advice as always.

Andy

Offline Fish

• 695 Member
  • 595 Comp
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2016, 08:39:37 PM »
A MF will bog down and cut as much as you'd think, if you've got an old terry towel about use that. Re the machine polish without seeing it, it is hard to say but I'd be surprised if you've managed that much damage removing tar spots.

Personally I don't like AG products, over rated for people who really take care of their car. Fine for the bog standard run around but not up to long term shine. Where on the planet are you, maybe some products could be sorted

Fish

Offline Andy595

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2016, 08:58:06 PM »
A MF will bog down and cut as much as you'd think, if you've got an old terry towel about use that. Re the machine polish without seeing it, it is hard to say but I'd be surprised if you've managed that much damage removing tar spots.

Personally I don't like AG products, over rated for people who really take care of their car. Fine for the bog standard run around but not up to long term shine. Where on the planet are you, maybe some products could be sorted

Fish

East Lancs Fish, Top end of the Rossendale Valley.

As a bog standard car cleaner before, AG seamed to fit the bill, but seeing some of the results you guys on here get, I am clearly a long way behind.

Thanks for the replies.

Andy