Author Topic: Detailing Starter Pack  (Read 13330 times)

Offline AndrewWhite

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
Detailing Starter Pack
« on: November 22, 2015, 07:11:26 AM »
Hi All,

I would like to start buying professional detailing products and have heard/seen great reviews of Auto Finesse, the link below is to there ultimate cal kit.

Can anyone say if it's worth it or would it be more worth to build a lot myself?

http://shop.autofinesse.co.uk/ultimate-car-care-kit

Offline AndrewWhite

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
Re: Detailing Starter Pack
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2015, 10:14:14 AM »
There are loads of good detailing products out there and you could ask 50 people and get 50 different answers. If you have no detailing products then this is a very convenient package and Autofinesse is a good company with excellent reviews. I know the owner as he used to detail cars for me.

Thanks again for the detailed explanation. Do you know if the owner still valets ?

Offline AndrewWhite

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: November 22, 2015, 02:33:33 PM »
Not sure. Give them a call. Last time I spoke to him (James) they were looking at different premises to allow for detailing. I know they have network of detailers they recommend so can put you in touch with someone. Hope that helps.

Thanks for all the information and advice, you have been a great help!

Offline Brian1612

• 695 Member
  • 200 bhp Competizione
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 22, 2015, 06:29:57 PM »
As Ads said, best to go out and find what works best for yourself buddy. Everyone has differing opinions.
---Abarth 595 Competizione Owner---
-Grey Leather Sabelts
-Interscope
-Yellow Brembos
-Engine Remap
-H&R Springs
-12mm & 16mm Spacers
-Mtech Short Shifter
-LED rear lamps
-CF Front Splitter
-CF Dipped Dash
-Yellow Exterior Details (Scuderia Stripes/Scorpions)
-Aluminium Speaker Covers & Plaque

Offline AndrewWhite

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2015, 07:13:35 PM »
Pleasure and let us know how you get on.

Will do mate, your not that far away so you might see the results!

Are there any meets coming up?

Offline AndrewWhite

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2015, 07:14:17 PM »
As Ads said, best to go out and find what works best for yourself buddy. Everyone has differing opinions.

Thanks for the reply mate, will let you know how I get on!

olivabih77

« Reply #6 on: November 22, 2015, 08:13:02 PM »

13th of December is one at Cannock Christmas meet Special. ;D ;D ;D Come along

Offline Salvos_white_abarth

• 695 Member
  • Abarth...the best thing since slice bread.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2015, 09:30:23 PM »
With detailing stuff its a mine field.Everybody has different oppinions.

Af are a well known brand .ive used autofinesse crystal glass cleaner - really good reviews but to be its ok, I prefer the cheaper 3m glass cleaner .its foam and seems to have more bite.

Ive tried autofinesse triple briefly and that seems preety good :)..

I started with autoglym as they are off the shelf and offer a variety of products, from clay bars,to polish and waxes , glass cleaners, tyre dressings,glass polish, interior stuff. I Found some really god stuff such as the autoglyhm hd wax ( so easy to use and great results) but some dont like it, but autoglym also have some weak products.

They are a very good starting point. Nothing wrong with going down the autofinesse route but I think youl end up experimenting to different brands And youl find what you prefer along the way (gets expensive lol).

I Always said "il stick to autoglym" ..now my collection has autoglym,autofinesse,zaino,3m, armorall,meguiars, car pro etc etc.al have good and bad stuff.

Offline AndrewWhite

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2015, 09:56:30 PM »

Hi mate, what's the details of that meet ? I'm available that date?

13th of December is one at Cannock Christmas meet Special. ;D ;D ;D Come along

Offline AndrewWhite

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2015, 09:58:07 PM »
With detailing stuff its a mine field.Everybody has different oppinions.

Af are a well known brand .ive used autofinesse crystal glass cleaner - really good reviews but to be its ok, I prefer the cheaper 3m glass cleaner .its foam and seems to have more bite.

Ive tried autofinesse triple briefly and that seems preety good :)..

I started with autoglym as they are off the shelf and offer a variety of products, from clay bars,to polish and waxes , glass cleaners, tyre dressings,glass polish, interior stuff. I Found some really god stuff such as the autoglyhm hd wax ( so easy to use and great results) but some dont like it, but autoglym also have some weak products.

Hi Salvos, I appreciate the advice and can't wait to build a collection like yours. Will keep you up dated with my progress.

They are a very good starting point. Nothing wrong with going down the autofinesse route but I think youl end up experimenting to different brands And youl find what you prefer along the way (gets expensive lol).

I Always said "il stick to autoglym" ..now my collection has autoglym,autofinesse,zaino,3m, armorall,meguiars, car pro etc etc.al have good and bad stuff.

Offline Brian1612

• 695 Member
  • 200 bhp Competizione
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2015, 11:04:09 PM »
Realised I didn't really say much on the products you are looking at. Auto Finesse were the first brand I went for, they have a lot of skill when it comes to marketing and the design is excellent ;)

But the products are good, if a tad expensive compared to other brands. I use a huge amount of thier products and the only one I haven't liked is there wax. My first wax bought when I started out was there entry level Temptation wax and found it to be quite a difficult one to use. They label it as an easy to use wax but since gaining a bit more experience and knowledge of other products, you can get products like finishkare 1000p hi-temp paste sealant and also the fk 2685 pink wax which are cheaper, contain twice as much and blow the temptation wax out the water with regards to durability and ease of use.

Finish wise the fk2685 was as good but the fk1000p lacks the depth being a sealant compared to the temptation and water reaction are all similar. So my advice would be if your looking at a LSP product, grab those two. Use the fk2685 through the summer and the fk1000p for winter, 2 coats a week apart will last 6-8 months easily.
-Grey Leather Sabelts
-Interscope
-Yellow Brembos
-Engine Remap
-H&R Springs
-12mm & 16mm Spacers
-Mtech Short Shifter
-LED rear lamps
-CF Front Splitter
-CF Dipped Dash

Offline AndrewWhite

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: November 23, 2015, 08:32:30 AM »
&Brian1612

Appreciate all the advice, could I be a pain and as for s run down on what to buy, order which to apply ? I'm not too bothered about the cost and how many products I just want to invest and properly take care of the car.

Offline Brian1612

• 695 Member
  • 200 bhp Competizione
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 23, 2015, 12:30:19 PM »
I can help you with that Andrew. I will assume you would want a full decontamination list? For that, off the top of my head you would need:

Snow foam lance & snow foam as a pre-wash - Obsession Wax Blizzard is my favorite.
Shampoo - Waxaddict, Carchem and Autoperfekt(about to open for business) have the best I have came across.
Fall out remover - BH Korrosol is my preference as it smells better, also KKD Ferrum in 5L size is excellent value.
Tar & Glue remover - Any really as they are mostly similar, Tardis works fine but keep away from decals.
Clay - I use a clay mitt from G3 as they are super easy to use and do a good job, best clay bar is Bilt Hamber.
Polish - Dependant on whether I am going with a sealant or not, Autoperfekt Nano polish or for wax AF rejuvenate.
Glaze - Only use under a wax, not a sealant but either AF ultra glaze or KKD re-gloss.
Sealant - FK1000p, durable, cheap, easy to use, all round excellent.
Wax - I really like FK2685 for the price, if you want something a bit more special have a look at Obsession Wax or Waxaddict for waxes.
Wheel cleaner - Autoperfekt SiVEN, KKD brakeaway or AngelWax Bilberry.
Wheel sealant - depends what you want, I hate waxing so go with a spray sealant, Gyeon Wet coat to use every wash but likely KKD Purity X and car pro reload are better options.
Tyre dressing - My personal fave is Frost Onyx and is available! Obsession Wax Nero, Slickrims, Autoperfekt, there are lots out there, only 1 I dislike is Megs endurance which is strangely very popular.
Metal polish - Autofinesse Mercury.
QD - Lucas oil slick mist or adams detailing spray.
Glass cleaner - Nanolex is the best I have tried.
All purpose cleaner - Bilt hamber surfex.

Probs missed plenty but off the top of my head that's what I can suggest through my own experience.

« Last Edit: December 02, 2015, 05:09:30 PM by Brian1612 »
-Grey Leather Sabelts
-Interscope
-Yellow Brembos
-Engine Remap
-H&R Springs
-12mm & 16mm Spacers
-Mtech Short Shifter
-LED rear lamps
-CF Front Splitter
-CF Dipped Dash

Offline AndrewWhite

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 12:51:30 PM »
Thanks Brian, I really do appreciate it and will begin the ordering and building up a collection of my own!

Offline Brian1612

• 695 Member
  • 200 bhp Competizione
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: November 23, 2015, 04:39:10 PM »
That is a bit OTT so it just depends how far you want to go really. I could give you more specific advice if you say more about what you were after. It is no problem Andrew, hope that is of some use to you :)
-Grey Leather Sabelts
-Interscope
-Yellow Brembos
-Engine Remap
-H&R Springs
-12mm & 16mm Spacers
-Mtech Short Shifter
-LED rear lamps
-CF Front Splitter
-CF Dipped Dash