Author Topic: Best winter wax protection  (Read 6959 times)

Offline Midlife Crisis

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
Best winter wax protection
« on: October 27, 2015, 06:22:09 PM »
Hi,

I'm sorry if this question has been asked before, but what wax would you recommend that is easy to apply ( I don't have the skill to use an electric buffer) for my Record Grey A500 to help protect the paintwork through the winter, especially against road salt etc.

I currently use Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 sealant that I find really easy to apply and seems to work really well. I also put GTECHNIQ Wheel sealer on when I got the car in March, so I'm hoping that will help protect the alloys.
S.W. Herts

2015 - A500 NP - Record Grey, Red Nerbarth Stripes, Calipers & Mirror Caps.

Offline POPEYE

• Abarth Enthusiast
  • MADE TO MODIFY
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: W33 GCE
Re: Best winter wax protection
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2015, 06:43:35 PM »
WOW...!!!!

😍
I'm pink, therefore I'm Spam.

Founding (only 😢) member of the Nord est della Scozia, Abarth appreciation society.

Offline Fish

• 695 Member
  • 595 Comp
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2015, 06:53:08 PM »
I would have said either Colli 476 (as above) or the liquid version being Colli 845. Thin coats of either and they would last until next year.

Fish

Offline Brian1612

• 695 Member
  • 200 bhp Competizione
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2015, 10:43:23 AM »
For wax Collinite 476 as Ads suggested is excellent. Haven't tried it personally but heard only good things about it, with the quoted durability I would be curious to know if it is indeed a wax or a paste sealant like FK1000p. Another wax to suggest is FK2685 which is very similar to 476, large 412g tin and less than £20, it is good enough finish wise to be used in the summer and a breeze to use. Also has durability comparable to 476 with 2 coats.

Ads your car looks brilliant with the 2 coats of 476, very deep gloss there for a winter coat.

If it is a sealant you want, FK1000p would be my suggestion as its again less than £20 for a huge 412g tin. My go to sealant for winter protection and also as a base coat before a wax on top with family cars for added durability. It is just as effective on wheels with the bonus of being simple to apply and remove. 2 coats of this, a few hours between should be enough for at least 6 months. It is a absolute gem and bargain of a product.   
« Last Edit: October 28, 2015, 11:23:02 AM by Brian1612 »
---Abarth 595 Competizione Owner---
-Grey Leather Sabelts
-Interscope
-Yellow Brembos
-Engine Remap
-H&R Springs
-12mm & 16mm Spacers
-Mtech Short Shifter
-LED rear lamps
-CF Front Splitter
-CF Dipped Dash
-Yellow Exterior Details (Scuderia Stripes/Scorpions)
-Aluminium Speaker Covers & Plaque

olivabih77

« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2015, 11:23:53 AM »
This was my car after 2 coats of winter wax protection courtesy of Collinite 476 Super Double which will see me through the winter. Others like Finish Kare 1000P. Or you might like a sealant.

Easy question...where did you get it from? Have to do with my car ;D

Offline 595girlie

• 695 Member
  • Hanging out the washing is a dangerous sport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2015, 12:05:40 PM »
Following Brian's review earlier in the year, this is my car after 2 coats of FK1000P sealant followed by 2 coats of FK2685 wax.  I'm very interested to see how this holds up as the sealant has great reviews for durability.  I have read that the FK1000P would do the job fine on it's own, but I added the FK2685 to get that extra glossy shine you get from a wax.

Very difficult colour to photograph, but hope it shows results well enough.

595 Competizione | Campovolo Grey | Red Mirrors | Side Stripes | Chequered Roof | Red Leather Sabelts | Interscope | Heko Wind Deflectors | Forge Induction Hose | Novitec Lowering Springs | Airtec FMIC | Milltek Turbo Back Exhaust | Forge Actuator | IHI Hybrid Turbo | ProAlfa Remap

olivabih77

« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2015, 12:16:09 PM »
Looks enough shiny to me.  ;D i guess better get this FK1000P to do it on my car soon before winter hit kick in 8)

Offline 595girlie

• 695 Member
  • Hanging out the washing is a dangerous sport!
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2015, 01:24:23 PM »
Looks enough shiny to me.  ;D i guess better get this FK1000P to do it on my car soon before winter hit kick in 8)

Got mine from here.   :)

http://www.cleanyourcar.co.uk/index.php?_a=viewBrand&brandId=11
595 Competizione | Campovolo Grey | Red Mirrors | Side Stripes | Chequered Roof | Red Leather Sabelts | Interscope | Heko Wind Deflectors | Forge Induction Hose | Novitec Lowering Springs | Airtec FMIC | Milltek Turbo Back Exhaust | Forge Actuator | IHI Hybrid Turbo | ProAlfa Remap

Offline Midlife Crisis

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2015, 11:53:11 PM »
Thanks Guys, I've ordered some Collinite 875 Liquid as I thought it would be quicker and easier to apply. Hopefully I will get some descent weather this weekend to get it on.
Just one more question, I normally use Chemical Guys Hybrid V7 gloss sealant, can I continue to use it or do I need to use it after I put the 875 on? I find it gives a really good gloss shine.
S.W. Herts

2015 - A500 NP - Record Grey, Red Nerbarth Stripes, Calipers & Mirror Caps.

Offline Brian1612

• 695 Member
  • 200 bhp Competizione
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2015, 01:05:39 AM »
Sealants go under wax Crisis.

Ideally that should go down as your base coat after polishing the car, you can then top your car with the 875 wax.
---Abarth 595 Competizione Owner---
-Grey Leather Sabelts
-Interscope
-Yellow Brembos
-Engine Remap
-H&R Springs
-12mm & 16mm Spacers
-Mtech Short Shifter
-LED rear lamps
-CF Front Splitter
-CF Dipped Dash
-Yellow Exterior Details (Scuderia Stripes/Scorpions)
-Aluminium Speaker Covers & Plaque