Author Topic: 124 ! here it is!  (Read 28435 times)

Offline Brian1612

• 695 Member
  • 200 bhp Competizione
    • View Profile
Re: 124 ! here it is!
« Reply #45 on: November 25, 2015, 04:26:28 PM »
I personally think it looks very different to the MX-5, even the proportions of the car are different and they have done well to set it apart from the MX-5. The front looks much better but still not keen on the rear and find the side view very bland. Roll on the Abarth! ;)
---Abarth 595 Competizione Owner---
-Grey Leather Sabelts
-Interscope
-Yellow Brembos
-Engine Remap
-H&R Springs
-12mm & 16mm Spacers
-Mtech Short Shifter
-LED rear lamps
-CF Front Splitter
-CF Dipped Dash
-Yellow Exterior Details (Scuderia Stripes/Scorpions)
-Aluminium Speaker Covers & Plaque

CB

« Reply #46 on: November 25, 2015, 05:57:33 PM »
How much space between the tyre and the arches?
Is there some kind of storage under there... ???

Offline Salvos_white_abarth

• 695 Member
  • Abarth...the best thing since slice bread.
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 25, 2015, 06:48:48 PM »
i think the back looks like a mini maseratti...anybody else see that or just me?

i love the look of the car to be honest. I think its handsome.Side is abit plain though but the front and back are epic.

Offline ForzaFiata

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 25, 2015, 07:03:19 PM »
I'm still on the fence about it, but 80% in favor of the design. I personally feel the sides could have been styled much more aggressively... quite happy with the front. The rear is not terrible, but could benefit nicely from a more aggressive diffuser.

I'm hoping the Abarth will address the concerns about the vanilla styling. Keep in mind, the 124 is similar to the 500, in that most of the customers won't give a rat's arse about speed or handling... they want something that simply looks cool and provides a taste of the Italian experience. So, with that in mind, the 124's styling (or lack thereof) is "middle-ground" enough to attract a wide range of buyers. It appears Fiat wants this to be a volume seller, not a mad track rocket.

Here in the USA, the Miata (event the most current one) is a bit of a hairdresser's car. It has a massive following in SCCA racing, and is an extremely competitive chassis. But, it lacks street-credibility due to the lackluster 0-60 times (the only real measure of dominance for us Yanks).

Personally, I'm not bothered with that. I am interested in the 124 (the Abarth especially, if it's within reach) because I like cars that are different, cars with more character than credentials. I have zero desire to buy "what everyone else is buying". If the 124 has the same chassis as the Miata, and has some Italian soul in the styling and powertrain, I think it would be a great combo. The Miata aftermarket options (suspension, wheels, etc) are abundant. The 1.4 is a plucky little motor that can be EASILY woken up to 200 horses. If the 124 weighs ~1,100 Kg, it should be a blast in the mountain roads of Tennessee. If the Abarth model is released with the 4C's 1.7, I think we'll have a proper "pocket rocket" on our hands.

Time will tell.
Future 124 Owner (Abarth, if I can be patient enough)

Modifications -- TBD

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 25, 2015, 07:14:06 PM »
ads dude

this 1..
the quatraporte

https://www.google.co.uk/search?biw=1280&bih=643&tbm=isch&sa=1&q=maseratti+back&oq=maseratti+back&gs_l=img.3..0i10i24.72678.77458.0.77661.17.12.1.0.0.0.227.1222.0j6j1.7.0....0...1c.1.64.img..10.7.1104.9KEQKv7ES0o&dpr=1&cad=cbv&sei=MQdWVrrqM8mEUdz0jcgP#imgrc=DvqLg-F_B_Fi9M%3A&sei=MQdWVrrqM8mEUdz0jcgP

They have said the abarth 1 will be more extreme infact apparently it will use a different design sheet?

I think more simple design and "smaller" 140bhp version will work well in this as the car is light anyway and remember this will also be dearer than the mazda...so if they did put a bigger engine surely it would hike the price up even more and then into abarth territory.

From what igatherfiat wanted something not in your face...this shows in the simple design and smaller engine and softer suspension and only 16 and 17 inch wheels.(even though its more powerful than the mazda) to attract the masses.

Reading the comments from the interview it seems that fiat simply wanted to play it "safe" on the styling...they even basically say they didnt want it fully retro.The handling will be softer for everyday use but also balanced to take on track.Seems like theyre saving the styling and power for the abarth which makes sence, but this fiat 124 will be sold to the masses .I think they had a clear idea of what they wanted from the softer 124 and the market they aiming it at so i still think theyve done that well.

Theyre saving the extreme side of things for the abarth which makes sence.
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 07:16:58 PM by Salvos_white_abarth »

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: November 25, 2015, 09:52:20 PM »
yea i agree there.i found it abit odd when i read that it would be a different design sheet....as then surely it wouldnt be a 124 anymore if its completly different lol, but it dont make sence so maby it was just a rumour or miss information.will see what abarth does to the styling:)

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: November 25, 2015, 10:14:42 PM »
just found a link to some news to the 124 abarth....

shoddy photoshop though lol

http://www.digitaltrends.com/cars/abarth-will-inject-fiat-124-spider-200-hp-send-hardtop/

Offline ForzaFiata

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: November 25, 2015, 10:15:32 PM »
Interestingly a lot of the online comments from the public at Autocar are quite negative saying that the car looks bland and also that it looks a lot like the old MX-5 with a different nose (I thought the same). I have photographed the full article and posted it below. Hope it's legible.

In one of these photos, it mentions using a different transmission because the Mazda's 6MT couldn't handle the torque.

The only "off the shelf" 6MT FCA has that is set up for a longitudinally-mounted engine is the one used in the Jeep Wrangler and Chrysler Crossfire back in the day. It's a notchy bastard with a rubbery shaft (no laughing). Compare this to the precise, direct 6MT in the Miata, and that's a huge mark against the 124.

**EDIT** Here's the transmission, the NSG370:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chrysler_NSG370_transmission

I mean, an ECU flash for the Mazda motor will provide an extra 20 HP... which puts the Mazda over the 124, with lighter weight and a better transmission.

I've heard the Abarth won't have an optional 6MT transmission, for the same reason the Alfa Romeo 4C doesn't have one -- the manual from FCA can't handle the power.

This might be a deal-breaker, because the 4C guys are already complaining about the paddle-shift transmission overheating during track use.  :-\
« Last Edit: November 25, 2015, 10:23:40 PM by ForzaFiata »
Future 124 Owner (Abarth, if I can be patient enough)

Modifications -- TBD

Offline Brian1612

• 695 Member
  • 200 bhp Competizione
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: November 29, 2015, 02:39:44 PM »
Looking forward to this but expected 180 bhp on par with the current 595 competizione... will hold off getting one right away incase they bring out another version with more power.
---Abarth 595 Competizione Owner---
-Grey Leather Sabelts
-Interscope
-Yellow Brembos
-Engine Remap
-H&R Springs
-12mm & 16mm Spacers
-Mtech Short Shifter
-LED rear lamps
-CF Front Splitter
-CF Dipped Dash
-Yellow Exterior Details (Scuderia Stripes/Scorpions)
-Aluminium Speaker Covers & Plaque

CB

« Reply #54 on: December 04, 2015, 08:05:14 PM »
I wonder how much a proper one goes for?

CB

« Reply #55 on: December 04, 2015, 08:26:13 PM »
I prefer the Italian version with no bumpers,also look good with a couple of Cibbies on the front👍

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: December 04, 2015, 10:02:09 PM »
mmm the black one is stunning

CB

« Reply #57 on: December 05, 2015, 07:58:05 AM »
Isn't it gorgeous  :D