Author Topic: Convertible question  (Read 6551 times)

Offline captpicard

• 695 Member
  • make it so..
    • View Profile
Convertible question
« on: September 17, 2015, 01:38:34 PM »
Anyone out there with a convertible Abarth have experience of or use a Wind Stop?
If so are they any good?
Abarth 500c custom(595)Heko's, PIAA DRL's, black mirror caps, smoked indicators, rear/side privacy tints, BMC filter, blackline official rear lights, black front whisker, rear badge, rear boot handle, boot flap mod...

Offline ZigZog

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
Re: Convertible question
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2015, 04:29:41 PM »
I have the convertible and was also thinking about the windstop but after chatting to someone with one he kind of put me off, so I didn't bother! From what I can make out it has to stay in position so when driving with the roof closed it obstructs the already small rear screen. Just pop the heater on and enjoy!

Offline FRZ

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: FRZ 595
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2016, 10:44:55 AM »
I've just picked up a wind stop on ebay. I wanted to try it to see if it made much difference to the rear passengers as I have the kids in the back with the roof down quite often. Given the comments on here and other places I didn't have high hopes but I'm really surprised at what a difference it does make.

I've only tried it on my own so can't comment on the effect it has in the rear but I imagine it will be quite a drastic difference.

I first tried the car without it. I don't think the 500c is bad at all for buffeting compared to other cars I've had but there is some especially over 50. It was only 4 degrees so I felt everywhere it was blowing!. The wind blows back around your head and neck. It also blows around the back of the seat, under your arms, across your lap and down your legs into the foot well. At 60-70 it's quite a gust coming back between the 2 front seats.

With it fitted you still get wind around your head and neck but about 50% less than before. The surprise was that lower down any buffeting has virtually disappeared. I would say at motorway speeds it's similar to driving without it at 40.

I was also worried how intrusive it would be (or rather how silly it would look) but you hardly notice it. In fact from inside it hides the folded roof so improves the view. It doesn't extend above the folded roof so can't be seen from outside and it doesn't restrict the rear view anymore than the roof does. When the roof is up it does cover some of the rear window but as you can see in the photo it's quite transparent.

It's also really easy to fit. It took longer for me to squeeze into the back and lower the rear seat than clipping it into place. It spring clips behind the bracket and hooks under rear shelf, the rear seats then secure it in place. Removing it seemed to be a bit fiddly but I'm sure given a few goes it will be easy to find the knack to it.

The other bonus is it's small enough to store easily, I keep it in a cupboard indoors, it also fits into the boot if you did want to remove it while you are out and about. I can see myself fitting it again in the spring and leaving it there all summer.

The £100 new price is steep for what you actually get but I think it will make a big difference if you have the roof down often.
2016 595c Competizione 180 | Campovolo Grey | Series 4

Offline FRZ

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2016, 10:50:33 AM »
A photo of it clipped onto the rear shelf.

Offline captpicard

• 695 Member
  • make it so..
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2016, 08:37:33 PM »
awesome, i'll have to look around for one.
Abarth 500c custom(595)Heko's, PIAA DRL's, black mirror caps, smoked indicators, rear/side privacy tints, BMC filter, blackline official rear lights, black front whisker, rear badge, rear boot handle, boot flap mod...

Offline WhizzBang

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2016, 08:07:57 PM »
I found pretty much the same thing. Its certainly handy for non-motorway blasting and the kids liek it. The only thing I dont like is that it can be a bit of a bind when reversing at night. Having said that, I tend to take it off unless I am going t out on a sunny day and since I live in Yorkshire it doesnt get much use here :)

It is currently in the shed hung up. Since I am aiming to do a rear seat delete it might well come up for sale some time :D

No back seat means no back seat drivers and since the wife now has the Volvo the kiddies transport issues are resolved.
Brembo Xtra discs from and rear
HEL Braided Brake Pipes
EBCGreenstuff Pads
Eibach Sport spings
Koni FSD
MM Bombardone
Bluespark Box D setting

Offline captpicard

• 695 Member
  • make it so..
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2016, 08:36:42 PM »
You'll have to let me know if you decide to sell,

with this in place do yo have the defuser at the front up or down?

Offline WhizzBang

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2016, 08:46:54 PM »
TBH, I have never locked it down so a matter for experimentation perhaps.
Brembo Xtra discs from and rear
HEL Braided Brake Pipes
EBCGreenstuff Pads
Eibach Sport spings
Koni FSD
MM Bombardone
Bluespark Box D setting

Offline BamBam

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2016, 11:33:33 PM »
I had a similar post a few months back and this is what Gelbarto told me:

What really matters this net over the central mirror

If the top is half open the net should be up.
When your roof is fully open the net should be down and closed.

Try it - it really matters.

https://forum.abarthownersclub.com/index.php/topic,1942.msg22834.html#msg22834

I find the pop up wind deflector position does matter!  Try it.

Offline FRZ

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2016, 11:58:27 PM »
I had a similar post a few months back and this is what Gelbarto told me:

What really matters this net over the central mirror

If the top is half open the net should be up.
When your roof is fully open the net should be down and closed.

Try it - it really matters.

https://forum.abarthownersclub.com/index.php/topic,1942.msg22834.html#msg22834

I find the pop up wind deflector position does matter!  Try it.

I saw this post and have followed it ever since. I does make a big difference.

I tested the wind stop with the front diffuser down. I did try putting it up but it just made lots of noise which I find is the same as what happens without the wind stop in place and the roof fully down.

Offline FRZ

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 12, 2016, 12:09:26 AM »
I found pretty much the same thing. Its certainly handy for non-motorway blasting and the kids liek it. The only thing I dont like is that it can be a bit of a bind when reversing at night. Having said that, I tend to take it off unless I am going t out on a sunny day and since I live in Yorkshire it doesnt get much use here :)

It is currently in the shed hung up. Since I am aiming to do a rear seat delete it might well come up for sale some time :D

No back seat means no back seat drivers and since the wife now has the Volvo the kiddies transport issues are resolved.

I didn't think about the visibility in the dark, I can see that would be hampered with the wind stop in place. Although visibility is fairly poor with the convertibles little window anyway. I've found this time of the year with no rear wiper it can be impossible to see out of at all. I tend to rely on the parking sensors more in this than other cars.

Offline BamBam

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2016, 08:29:56 AM »
I should have replied that I also bought a wind stop.  It looks nice but I don't think it makes that much difference wind-wise.  With the top down though as FRZ said, it hides the folds of the top.  It does obscure the limited vision that we already have out of the back window, but I got a reversing camera installed when I got the new sound/nav system and that helps.

Offline captpicard

• 695 Member
  • make it so..
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2016, 04:28:48 PM »
thanks for the replies,, time to have a play, just purchased whizbangs so will know soon enough  ;)

Offline captpicard

• 695 Member
  • make it so..
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 28, 2016, 08:11:37 PM »
Many many thanks to Whizbang, top man for the fast delivery of the wind break.

Fitted and had several drives since, was a little sceptical to be honest - but was surprised by what a big difference it makes. Recommended.