Author Topic: Sound deadening  (Read 10869 times)

Offline KK_96

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Sound deadening
« on: January 21, 2015, 09:56:52 PM »
Has anyone sound deadened their Abarth 500 or even APE/AGP? I enjoy my music loud but it's really starting to wind me up the amount of rattles I get in the car. Whilst on the subject does everyone else get many rattles, on my old car a lot of the screws were visible so I tigthened the whole car up but most of them on the 500 seem concealed :(
Abarth 500 Campovolo grey

Offline James

• Abarth Enthusiast
  • South Wales
    • View Profile
Re: Sound deadening
« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2015, 10:03:42 PM »
Somebody did it on the fiatforum to their F500, be careful tho over tightening things can make the squeaks even worse.
South Wales Member

Offline KK_96

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2015, 10:18:33 PM »
Not so much a squeak but more rattling, changed job 2 months ago (to a much longer commute) and it's to the point now I need to do something about it.

Offline CJ

• 695 Member
  • Dino Abartho
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: DN10WMV
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2015, 12:08:45 AM »
Have noticed that this little car has minimal soundproofing if any - similar to my old MK.2 Cortina 1600E.
This is going to be my next project KK. Waiting delivery of Silent Coat pads, replacement speakers for the doors and I'm changing the subwoofer too. Only going to sound proof the doors initially, but may do the front passenger area if I still have the energy! There are rattles appearing from the passenger window mechanism which I will deal with whilst I'm there. Could go the whole hog and apply a layer of felt but it would take me twice as long, TBH one layer will be good enough for me. Don't want to add too much weight  :P
2010 RossoSfr Essesse~ATM Intercooler~FORGE Intake Actuator BOV~Powermotive CAT Back Exhaust~HPSI Hoses~Bluespark~MTEC SS~PC680 Lightweight Battery~Direnza Coilovers~5F/10R Spacers~17x7 EC SanremoCorse-215/40 Goodyear F1-a little sprinkle of Alcantara

Offline KK_96

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2015, 06:35:58 AM »
Let me know how it goes CJ!

Offline Bertie

• Founder Of AOC
  • Administrator
  • 695 Member
    • View Profile
    • Abarth Owners Club
  • Registration Number: F5 BSB
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2015, 10:26:38 AM »
Alot of the rattles and shakes are worse as its winter, the low temperatures makes all the plastics and metals shrink.

Even though they may only shrink by 0.5 to 1mm, thats enough for it to rattle. Ive noticed mine is a lot worse compared to how it was in the summer when the cabin felt like a sauna!

Let us know how the soundproofing goes :)

Bertie
Abarth 124 Spider | San Marino Black | Visibility Pack | Bose Audio | Satnav | #280 of 2000

Offline CJ

• 695 Member
  • Dino Abartho
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: DN10WMV
« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2015, 12:53:12 PM »
Woohoo! Just received this lot - Silent coat panels work out to be 4kg and speakers are slightly heavier too, i knew this but now i'm thinking that i should use felt instead.  :-\  Does anyone know which sound proofer is best?
2010 RossoSfr Essesse~ATM Intercooler~FORGE Intake Actuator BOV~Powermotive CAT Back Exhaust~HPSI Hoses~Bluespark~MTEC SS~PC680 Lightweight Battery~Direnza Coilovers~5F/10R Spacers~17x7 EC SanremoCorse-215/40 Goodyear F1-a little sprinkle of Alcantara

Offline JackH1990

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 22, 2015, 04:28:44 PM »
Alot of the rattles and shakes are worse as its winter, the low temperatures makes all the plastics and metals shrink.

Even though they may only shrink by 0.5 to 1mm, thats enough for it to rattle. Ive noticed mine is a lot worse compared to how it was in the summer when the cabin felt like a sauna!

Let us know how the soundproofing goes :)

Bertie

I've certainly noticed a lot more knocking/rattling in the past couple of weeks but it goes away once the weather gets a bit warmer. And I only usually hear it when I'm crawling traffic with no loud music!  ;D
Abarth 500C: MTA/Gara White/Black Side Decals/Magneti Marelli Alloys/Magneti Marelli SS500Z Exhaust/Black Leather Seats/Interscope Sound System