Author Topic: Abarth 695 Biposto returns to Harewood Hillclimb - Sunday 20th September  (Read 4571 times)

Offline Andrew

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
Abarth 695 Biposto returns to Harewood Hillclimb

On Sunday 12th April 2015 Abarth UK celebrated the UK launch of the Abarth 695 Biposto by taking part in a round of the Harewood Speed Hillclimb championship.

Despite less than ideal weather, and the car being brand new, lead driver Fulvio Mussi posted a creditable 3rd in Class at the event.

During the intervening months, may conversations have taken place – largely based around  “ I’m sure we could go quicker ”

Well – we’re going to find out!

The car is entered again on Sunday 20th September for the final round of the championship.

Peter Robinson (Abarth UK Sales Manager) has agreed to warm the car up for Fulvio who is looking to knock a few tenths off his personal best on the Hill.

Harewood Hill, Abarth UK and Clemo Cleckheaton have once again extended an invitation for Abarth customers to come to the event and witness the 695 Biposto in action.

Please find an outline of the day’s activities including a FAQ section

• Abarth drivers are invited to congregate at the Clemo dealership between Half Eight and Nine O’Clock on the Morning of Sunday 20th Sept.

• A drive-out convoy will depart via a prescribed route to arrive at Harewood Hill in plenty of time to see the timed runs.

• Upon arrival at Harewood Hill Abarth Drivers will be granted Half Price entry into the venue (£5 per person instead of the usual £10) and directed to a designated Abarth parking area.

• You will be free to enjoy the spectacle of the event, including the participation of the Abarth 695 Biposto.

• Most of the questions we have been asked are as follows, for any further information you can contact Daniella at Clemo on 01274 - 863700

When is the event?
Sunday 20th September
The Driveout Convoy will leave Clemo Abarth, 183 Bradford Road, Cleckheaton, West Yorkshire, BD19 3TT  just after 9.00am – and head out on a prescribed route towards The BARC Harewood Hillclimb.

Where is the Harewood Hillclimb taking place?
The Mike Wilson Memorial Hillclimb takes place on Sunday 20th Sept at Harewood Hill Climb, Harewood, Yorkshire, LS17 9LA

How do I get there?
Contact Daniella at Clemo Motors Cleckheaton on 01274 – 863700 to join the Driveout Convoy,
-Or-
Leave the A1 at J45 and take the A659 westwards towards Otley.  Follow the A659 (signed for Harewood House) through Collingham (bear right at the lights).  Harewood Hillclimb is on your righthand side in about 3 miles.

Do I have to join the Driveout convoy
It’ll be fun to go in the convoy, and you’ll arrive in time for the Timed runs, but no – you can go directly to the event if you prefer, Practice runs start from 9.00am.

How Much is it to get in?
The usual entry fee is £10 – but we have arranged a concessionary rate for anyone arriving in an Abarth of £5 per person – you can pay (cash – no cards) on the gate.

Where do I park my Abarth?
You will be directed to the Car Park at the top of the Hill overlooking the track – there will be other Abarths there too.

What facilities are there?
Speed hillclimbing is a very civilised affair – there are good toilet facilities, and catering including Burgers, Sausage Sandwiches even Roast Dinners etc – and an Ice Cream Van. Abarth UK will have an Events Rig too.

What is Speed Hillclimbing?
Cars compete against the clock on an uphill tarmac course to achieve the fastest possible time. Cars are separated into various classes dependent upon size, configuration, engine capacity etc.

What is special about Harewood?
BARC's Harewood Hillclimb is the longest speed hillclimb course in mainland UK, hosting 12 events each year including 2 rounds of the prestigious MSA British Hillclimb Championship. The venue offers unrivalled views of high speed motorsport action set against a backdrop of the beautiful Wharfedale valley. Cars compete against the clock on the 1440 metre tarmac track, with the latest single seater racing cars reaching speeds of 130 mph.

Why should we, as Abarth Owners attend this event?
To see the Abarth 695 Biposto taking part!
Abarth has a long tradition of Speed Hillclimbing – with many international records held. Abarth UK used Hillclimbing to launch the new era of Abarth.
Abarth 695 Biposto is latest addition to the Abarth Stable, the World’s Smallest Supercar with 997kg dry weight, 190bhp and 0-60mph in 5.9 seconds, it is perfectly suited to this event with a Dog Ring Gearbox and Mechanical Limited Slip Differential.

Will the Abarth 695 Biposto win?
An outright win against the ultra-lightweight, purpose built, single seat hillclimb cars would never be possible, however the Abarth 695 Biposto has been shown to be competitive in its class, which is for Road Cars up to 2000cc.

Who’s driving the car?
Speed Hillclimbing enables two drivers to share one car – this means that the car will be out on the track between 8 and 10 times during the day. The car is being driven by The National Sales Manager of Abarth UK – Peter Robinson, and the person responsible for the Track Based Demonstration Programme for Abarth 695 Biposto – Fulvio Mussi

Can I get involved in Speed Hillclimbing?
A number of our Abarth customers already Hillclimb their cars
Any of the competitors at the event will be delighted to talk to you about their sport, and how to get involved.
Speed Hillclimbing is one of the most accessible forms of Motorsport. You can – as we are doing – compete in your Standard Road Car. You will need to make some very minor modifications, and invest in some essential safety equipment such as Helmet, Overalls and Gloves. All UK motorsport is governed by the Motorsports Ascociation (MSA), you’ll need to be a member of a recognised club, and hold the necessary MSA licence.
Harewood hold regular School Days where you can get a taster of what it’s like

Can I get more information?
The following websites will be of interest;
Abarth UK and the 695 Biposto                  http://www.abarthcars.co.uk/Site/uk/Abarth-695-Biposto
Clemo Motors Cleckheaton                         http://www.clemo.co.uk/
Harewood Speed Hillclimb                         http://www.harewoodhill.com/
Motorsports asscociation                             https://www.msauk.org/

Weekdays: Campovolo A500
Weekends: White AGP SS

Offline sandys

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
Re: Abarth 695 Biposto returns to Harewood Hillclimb - Sunday 20th September
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2015, 09:23:06 AM »
Hmm, I'm up North doing Blyton the day before, wonder if I can convince the missus to have another little trip.

Offline S13GE

• Events Leader
  • 695 Member
  • Instagram - ts13ger
    • View Profile
    • My Soundcloud
  • Registration Number: TS13GER
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2015, 01:38:36 PM »
600cc is a huge deficit, so it is doing very well to be competitive in that class.

if only they had given it a such more respectable power output e.g. 220bhp and 240lb/ft*, for £50,000 it really needs a bit more straight line performance imo
Modena Yellow 595 Competizione | Performance Pack |  Novitec Challenge Corse Evo Exhaust | TMC Decat | RamAir Induction Kit | H&R Lowering Springs | DNA Camber | M-Tech Short Shifter | Yellow Brembos | Beats Audio  system | 7" Infotainment sat nav | T4P Stage 1 remap:::226bhp/295lbft insta me :D

Offline Andrew

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2015, 03:12:32 PM »
Any more takers for this event?
Weekdays: Campovolo A500
Weekends: White AGP SS

Offline sandys

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2015, 07:06:32 PM »
600cc is a huge deficit, so it is doing very well to be competitive in that class.

if only they had given it a such more respectable power output e.g. 220bhp and 240lb/ft*, for £50,000 it really needs a bit more straight line performance imo

It is in the under 2.0 class is it not so it has plenty of power and for a hill decent torque, it should be monstering it.

Won't be able to make this myself, I'm not allowed to many track events this week already.

Offline S13GE

• Events Leader
  • 695 Member
  • Instagram - ts13ger
    • View Profile
    • My Soundcloud
  • Registration Number: TS13GER
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2015, 07:54:31 PM »
Still think it's underpowered whatever I hear I cannot associate a £40k* price tag on a new car with less than 200bhp and a fair bit more torque, lovely machine just massively short in terms of raw grunt for my liking

I have more torque than a Biposto...just sayin' lol  ;)
Modena Yellow 595 Competizione | Performance Pack |  Novitec Challenge Corse Evo Exhaust | TMC Decat | RamAir Induction Kit | H&R Lowering Springs | DNA Camber | M-Tech Short Shifter | Yellow Brembos | Beats Audio  system | 7" Infotainment sat nav | T4P Stage 1 remap:::226bhp/295lbft insta me :D

Offline sandys

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2015, 08:28:02 PM »
You'll get no argument from me on its price for what it is, when you can having a much more special 4C and not feel like you are sitting on a dining room chair like in the Biposto :D , but I've done plenty of competing in my Punto which is heavier and has less power and it has been very successful for me, even when I get lumped in the over 2.0 class due to some events having a 1.7x multiplier, good engine with decent ratios, low weight and diff should see that the Biposto goes well.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2015, 08:43:11 PM by sandys »