Author Topic: 180 Competizione oil consumption  (Read 9518 times)

Offline Maloutant

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
180 Competizione oil consumption
« on: August 10, 2015, 10:54:36 PM »
Hi guys and girls, just wondering if anyone with a 180 Competizione had checked their oil level since you've had them?

After 5 weeks and 500 miles, I checked mine for the first time this weekend, and found the level to just about at mid-level on the dipstick. Actually topped her up a little bit.

With the last 595, over 2 years and 12K miles, we only ever topped up the oil (a tiny bit) twice over that period. So a bit taken aback by the oil level not showing up to max with this one, with so few miles under her belt.

Any thoughts/feedback?

Many thanks!

Malou

Offline rare

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
Re: 180 Competizione oil consumption
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2015, 07:58:29 AM »
Interesting. I do about 250 a week so I will check mine at the weekend and report back.

Perhaps I should order a tin of 10w50 just in case I need to top it up at any point!!
2010 - A500/TMC/MONZA/GTT Level 2 - Sold
2015 - 595 Comp 180 ;)

Offline CJ

• 695 Member
  • Dino Abartho
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: DN10WMV
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2015, 09:28:11 AM »
Hi Malou

Did you check the oil level when you first picked up the car? It could be possible that it wasn't full in the first place?

Have you noticed any excessive smoke from the exhaust more than normal?

You could top her up now and keep a close watch for the next few hundred miles?
2010 RossoSfr Essesse~ATM Intercooler~FORGE Intake Actuator BOV~Powermotive CAT Back Exhaust~HPSI Hoses~Bluespark~MTEC SS~PC680 Lightweight Battery~Direnza Coilovers~5F/10R Spacers~17x7 EC SanremoCorse-215/40 Goodyear F1-a little sprinkle of Alcantara

Offline Maloutant

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2015, 11:29:31 AM »
Hello CJ,

no, I didn't check the fluids until now. To be honest, didn't think I'd need to, with a brand new car! I was expecting a full supply of oil to be a minimum requirement, lol.

I haven't noticed any smoking. 

Yes, will definitely keep an eye on it. 

Offline harry flatters

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 11, 2015, 12:37:43 PM »
Quite agree that oil levels etc on a new car should be absolutely 'on the mark' - mind you, that doesn't mean that it was! :( Should definitely not be smoking either :o All you can do, having topped it up correctly, is keep an eye on it to see if it is using/dropping oil. If you are dropping anything more than a very few drips, it should be obvious from looking underneath and checking if it's pooling in any under engine shroud or falling to the floor.  If you continue to have to top up at the sort of rate you are talking about I think I would be straight back to the dealer - they will probably try and fob you off saying new engines are always a bit tight/when they are new, they all do that sir etc! :) but if nothing else you will have put them on notice that you may have a problem if it gets more serious later - good luck and do hope you find there is no real problem after all - modern engines in good order generally use little or no oil between servicing in my experience.
April 2016 595 Turismo, Campovolo grey, semi auto. box, sunshine roof

Offline CJ

• 695 Member
  • Dino Abartho
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: DN10WMV
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2015, 12:45:55 PM »
You're right Mal, you shouldn't have to check anything with a brand new car even tyre pressures - dealer should inspect it and sort out any issues way before you get the keys.

I hope it is just a case of topping up!
2010 RossoSfr Essesse~ATM Intercooler~FORGE Intake Actuator BOV~Powermotive CAT Back Exhaust~HPSI Hoses~Bluespark~MTEC SS~PC680 Lightweight Battery~Direnza Coilovers~5F/10R Spacers~17x7 EC SanremoCorse-215/40 Goodyear F1-a little sprinkle of Alcantara

Offline Maloutant

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2015, 12:47:59 PM »
thanks, Harry. Even more surprising because the previous car hardly used any oil at all. I will definitely mention it to the dealer, and keep an eye on her. My gut feeling (don't ask me why) is that she didn't come with a full reservoir of oil to start with, which seems puzzling......   

Offline Maloutant

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2015, 12:53:14 PM »
thanks, CJ. I have a feeling my PDI was pretty rushed, anyway. The car was superficially clean, but we had to remove some very sticky bits left over from the protective tape. Also, the underside and wheel arches are absolutely filthy with what looks like she had been stored in/driven through a wet muddy parking lot, all splattered underneath.  :(

Offline Cordolo595

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2015, 02:12:27 PM »
thanks, CJ. I have a feeling my PDI was pretty rushed, anyway. The car was superficially clean, but we had to remove some very sticky bits left over from the protective tape. Also, the underside and wheel arches are absolutely filthy with what looks like she had been stored in/driven through a wet muddy parking lot, all splattered underneath.  :(

Prep of my car was disappointing too, also had sticky residue and also had to take a fair bit of time getting rid of scratches caused by poor washing. I asked for it to be inside when I collected it as it had been raining, I reckon they brought it into the workshop and just dryed off the rain with some old cloth without actually washing it. As usual didn't notice until I got home.

All fine now, but not good enough for a 20k car to be prepped to this level, infact any new car… A few minutes of them being careless and me hours of getting it fixed.

Also have not checked my oil level yet… will do.
Cordolo Red Competizione 180. AKA Enzo.

Offline Maloutant

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2015, 02:37:16 PM »
good grief, that is completely unacceptable! You shouldn't have to try and get rid of scratches on a brand new car! tut-tut...
Sometimes dealers really don't do themselves any favours....

will keep you posted on the oil situation.

Offline Tin Bath

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2015, 03:37:25 PM »
I Checked my oil level after collection and mine is around the half mark, I guess it's what they do, it saves a bit of money, although I agree it should be on the max mark.

Worth checking your tyre pressures also as mine were low by a few psi, that air it's so expensive..... :)
2018 Biposto Record....2017 L&K Yeti....1933 Austin 10....2016 Triumph Scrambler, customised....2013 Triumph Thruxton, modified....oh and my wife has a 595.

Offline rare

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2015, 06:20:43 PM »
The sideskirts are a well known issue, so many people have had theirs damaged by technicians not taking care.
2010 - A500/TMC/MONZA/GTT Level 2 - Sold
2015 - 595 Comp 180 ;)

Offline Maloutant

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2015, 06:36:05 PM »
looks like we could start a couple of new threads: "Epic PDI fails" and "Sorry, Sir/Madam, we appear to have damaged your pride and joy, but... (fill in as appropriate)".

thanks for the feedback, Tin Bath. haha, yes, Air, that precious commodity. The TFT display is showing tyre pressure ok, but I will check them - curious to see if the display mirrors the reality inside the tyres!  ;)

Offline Curly

• Abarth Novice
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2015, 09:55:06 PM »
Hi
Our cars oil level was between minimum & maximum when new
also our first one the tyre pressures were very low from new
Best to check all levels & the tyre pressures regularly when cold
Curly
Abarth 695 Edizione Maserati

Offline Maloutant

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: August 11, 2015, 10:31:28 PM »
thank you Curly and Ads, will definitely check tyre pressures now, as well. Would be disappointed if they turned out to be off, too.

Feel kinda dumb now not knowing about the TFT tyre display. Really ought to sit down and read the owner's manual one of these days, but there are so many more fun Abarthy things to do....  ;)