Author Topic: What Did You Do To Your Car Today?  (Read 322844 times)

Offline harry flatters

• Abarth Enthusiast
    • View Profile
Re: What Did You Do To Your Car Today?
« Reply #765 on: February 24, 2018, 06:07:34 PM »
We watched that too Jennifer - tough for the UK team! The 'beast from the East' has arrived big time here (East Anglia) and we have severe weather warnings of snow/ice for Monday and week!  Poor old 'Ellie' (see 'name your car or not' thread!) will have to wait a bit longer for a good clean!  Checked out gas lanterns/heater/cooking ring so, with enough food to feed an army, we are ready for anything!!  Keep warm folks and watch out for the ice!!
April 2016 595 Turismo, Campovolo grey, semi auto. box, sunshine roof

Offline FLP

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #766 on: March 07, 2018, 07:41:25 AM »
Had it lowered last weekend. Took a few quick pictures.
H&R springs, Coupe bump stops and wheel spacers (16R / 12F)

2017 Abarth 595 Competizione with Performance Pack
Mods: Some cosmetic stuff; Rear seat delete; Rear chassis braces; Side underskirts; Stage 1 remap 205hp, 332Nm

Offline Andy595

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #767 on: March 08, 2018, 04:17:34 PM »
Getting my normal wheels ready for swapping with the winter ones.

Used a none acidic spray first, washed and rinsed, then Iron Off, tar remover inner as well as outer rims, then Panel Wipe before drying thoroughly and an application of C5 wheel armour.

Have then dressed the tyres.

All the products I use are Gtechniq and really do appear to do what it says on the packaging.

Have put the set back on the rack for now, waiting until the weather properly improves before fitting to the car. Have to say they do look damn good.

A question for anyone reading this. The tar remover states not to use on area's covered with vinyl. How do I clean the tar off the side stripe on my XSR?

Cheers

Andy

Offline Eggey17

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
« Reply #768 on: March 08, 2018, 09:02:12 PM »
Take your strips off! Lol, as long as you don’t get them wet, stick them back on after you wash your car ;)

Offline Andy595

• Abarth Professional
    • View Profile
« Reply #769 on: March 09, 2018, 09:11:44 PM »
Take your strips off! Lol, as long as you don’t get them wet, stick them back on after you wash your car ;)

I don't think you understand how bad at wall papering I am. Not a cat in hell chance of the stripes going back on properly!

Thanks for the suggestion though...

Andy

Offline jenniferlouise

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #770 on: April 21, 2018, 07:00:16 PM »
First wash of the year.... really! Ok so nice guys at Tesco have given it a couple of rinses but today was the first time to get all the products out of the shed. In fact the outside tap was still turned off inside to protect from the winter frosts. Anyway, spent some time today treating the car to a much needed spring clean in preparation for Bicester. Wash, polish, vacuum, leather cream, wheel clean and wax, tyres dressed. So far spent three hours on it, and will add a sealing coat once the semi final has finished.... a bit of sunshine makes such a difference A
Abarth history : 2014 595C Turismo Scorpione Black I 2016 595C Turismo Podium Blue I 2017 695C Yamaha XSR Circuit Grey #035 I saga will be continued...

Offline jenniferlouise

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #771 on: April 28, 2018, 03:34:05 PM »
Frustrating day... made another great purchase from The Tuning Shop (eBay) of a replacement gear lever gaiter, to add a bit more red stitching to the XSR. I’d been thinking about it for a while and having seen Ed’s beautiful Comp on Sunday at Bicester Heritage decided to make the swap.

Removing the gear knob is nigh-on impossible  >:( I found the instructions within a thread on ‘isti which implies that the aluminium knob is thread-locked on. I’ve spent too much time this morning, and surrendered some skin, trying to break the bonds. In the end I gave up (unlike me) and went to ATS. A very big fella with vice-like grip had a go... needless to say the darn knob is still stuck fast. So the new gaiter is thrown into the back seat for now. A trip to Abarth is now required to pass the problem to them.

For info (and I may need to post this somewhere else in the forum) the gear lever gaiter is best emoted from the bottom left side first, teasing up the silver ring. Once the half dozen tabs have been released it will lift up. A small cable tie holds the gaiter at the base of the shaft which is easily snipped to release it. With the knob removed the gaiter will then easily slide off. The gaiter is held between the silver ring and a retaining collar inside it, which needs to be carefully separated as the two parts are held together with the weakest of plastic lugs.

I will let you know how I get on with Abarth, unless anyone else has a better 💡 idea. And no suggestions of metal grips; I want to be able to reassemble with the polished aluminium knob unscathed. For now, I’ve put the thing back together again. Did I mention I’m frustrated? A

Abarth history : 2014 595C Turismo Scorpione Black I 2016 595C Turismo Podium Blue I 2017 695C Yamaha XSR Circuit Grey #035 I saga will be continued...

Offline Taz

• Abarth Professional
  • Captain Slow found the Sport Button!
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: 116 NKP
« Reply #772 on: April 28, 2018, 04:26:04 PM »
Just a thought Jennifer. Have you thought about warming up the gear knob with a hair drier? Sometimes these locking compounds can be broken down with a bit of gentle heat.
Nigel 

Record Grey 500 with red wheel centres and mirrors.
PIAA DRL's, Philips Xtreme Vision upgraded lights. Lexus style rear light units. Smoked side repeaters. Team Heko wind deflectors.

Smiles per gallon & grow old disgracefully.

Offline jenniferlouise

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #773 on: April 28, 2018, 04:34:50 PM »
Just a thought Jennifer. Have you thought about warming up the gear knob with a hair drier? Sometimes these locking compounds can be broken down with a bit of gentle heat.
Hi Taz, that was a thought, having watched some YouTube where a blow lamp was used on some locked on nuts.  not convinced that my dryer would raise the temperature enough. And don’t want to scorch the aluminium with something more aggressive.

Offline Taz

• Abarth Professional
  • Captain Slow found the Sport Button!
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: 116 NKP
« Reply #774 on: April 28, 2018, 05:30:20 PM »

Hi Taz, that was a thought, having watched some YouTube where a blow lamp was used on some locked on nuts.  not convinced that my dryer would raise the temperature enough. And don’t want to scorch the aluminium with something more aggressive.
[/quote]

A hair dryer should heat it up OK, just a bit slowly. I'd be tempted to use a strap wrench on it. https://www.amazon.co.uk/BOA-11022-Baby-Soft-Grip/dp/B002HMRU34/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524932957&sr=8-1&keywords=strap+wrench+small
Nigel 

Record Grey 500 with red wheel centres and mirrors.
PIAA DRL's, Philips Xtreme Vision upgraded lights. Lexus style rear light units. Smoked side repeaters. Team Heko wind deflectors.

Smiles per gallon & grow old disgracefully.

Offline Regina500

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: 09wh9005
« Reply #775 on: May 11, 2018, 10:23:17 PM »
Ordered Bilstein B6 front shocks

Offline Little blue

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: KS65GFV
« Reply #776 on: June 01, 2019, 03:54:31 PM »
Looked for my sticker, and realised i still dont have.

Offline CJ

• 695 Member
  • Dino Abartho
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: DN10WMV
« Reply #777 on: August 05, 2019, 09:38:38 AM »
Cleaned him  :)
2010 RossoSfr Essesse~ATM Intercooler~FORGE Intake Actuator BOV~Powermotive CAT Back Exhaust~HPSI Hoses~Bluespark~MTEC SS~PC680 Lightweight Battery~Direnza Coilovers~5F/10R Spacers~17x7 EC SanremoCorse-215/40 Goodyear F1-a little sprinkle of Alcantara

Offline Geoffxb

• 695 Member
    • View Profile
  • Registration Number: XXI5984
« Reply #778 on: August 05, 2019, 02:28:05 PM »
nothing
Super Duper spider

Offline Chew

• Barely Abarth
    • View Profile